So this is my Father’s Day sermon. It’s early so you can preach it if you like! 😀
My unpreached sermon is taken from Mark 5:22-24 and Mark 9:17. These two scriptures that show wonderful wisdom and love of two fathers, both of whom knew how to appeal to Jesus in behalf of their children. In one the father took Jesus to his child; in the other the father took his child to Jesus. In both cases the answer lay in connecting to Jesus!
How to do that? Let me count the ways:
- Love on your child – not just love your child. Embrace, cuddle, wrestle, bear hug.
- Teach respect for, love of, and practicality of the Bible. Use Bible stories in some form: story telling, movies, songs, rhymes
- Pray aloud with and for the child. Bring thanks and problems to Jesus.
- Teach Jesus stories. Invite Jesus into your lives in a daily manner. Give Jesus a pretend chair at you dinner table, place a chair in the bedroom where Jesus can sit to watch through the night, be creative in play and arguments about Jesus being present. Ask Jesus what he thinks about whether you need to do homework, watch TV or play ball.
Even if you do not know the Bible well, make yourself acquainted with some principles that might be needed by a child from the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus said:
- You are like salt and light. Do good to/for people. Make them happy.
- Love your enemies. Pray for people who hurt you. Try to do good (Paul said “as much as possible…) Your child will need to know he will not always be able to make peace. Then avoid problem or leave it to you (father).
- Keep your word. Never lie.
- Be generous. Don’t brag about it.
- Don’t worry, you (daddy) give security as God’s helper.
- Don’t judge other people, or talk bad about them. They can tell you (like grown ups can tell God)
- Make good plans.
Other Bible scriptures:
- Jesus loves the little children
- The two scriptures above that show Jesus love for children, plus Jarius’ daughter.
- Your body is to be respected as a proper place for Jesus to live. So avoid smoking, drinking, drugs, and things that give you bad thoughts (bad movies and computer games, etc).
- Husband loves his wife; therefore, the child will obey his/her mother and treat her with respect.
Remember that in our Bible models, the father was the instigator and he was there! He was present! You may sometimes assign the duty to someone else, but the real answer is in the three being together—father, child, and Jesus.
Picture is mine. My son and his grandson.