BRAY ALL YOU WANT TO BUT… 1

donkey

BRAY ALL YOU WANT TO BUT GOD WILL NOT BE MANIPULATED

I have told you all many times that I am a very “churchy” person.  I believe in the local church for education, worship, fellowship, and outreach.  Sometimes I tell funny stories.  They all go together for my love for the church.  I am not being ugly about church, but one cannot go there for 83 years without a range of experiences.  At least not in my background.  I must confess in recent years I don’t have the same kind of stories.  I’m glad I learned in the little church.

I’m making some observations today that will fit my theme.

1.  Once upon a time we had a preacher in our little church who lacked a few eggs in his egg crate. Kind man and all but… One night he decided he was going to preach until the glory came down. He preached, and preached, and preached, and …by one o’clock most everyone had gone home. My folks were left and what do you do? Walk out and leave him alone? No, but about 2:30 mother got tickled. So she laughed. Did you every start laughing at 2:30 a.m.? I have – with my sisters a couple of times; it is hard to stop! So she laughed some more, and more, and more. Preacher was delighted that the glory had come down! We finally left; he was still preaching.  Manipulation? It didn’t work.

2.  It won’t work with singing either. But I believe I have seen it tried. Now I like singing. I like lots of singing. I like it for praising; I like it for entertainment.  I like it for learning.  I like it for music’s sake. I think God likes it too, for lots of reasons.  But not to set the scene for the preacher.  An anointed preacher does not need to be motivated by a “warmed up” audience.  Neither the singing nor the preacher will manipulate God.

3.   You have probably heard this advice; maybe even given it. “If you are praying for something, find a scripture to stand on, then stand on it!” You claim “God’s word will not return void” etc.

God has many more scriptures than the one you might “find” to stand on. Many people know Mark 11:23-24 about asking and receiving but not nearly as many cite John 15:7. “If you remain in me and my words remain in you, you can ask whatever you will and it will be given you.”

Claiming his promises but not fulfilling his conditions, is a giant manipulation maneuver. God will not moved!

Singing until the audience is warmed up will not manipulate God.

Preaching until the power falls will not manipulate God.

This entry was posted in church, manipulating God, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to BRAY ALL YOU WANT TO BUT… 1

1. Wow Oneta—that one line jumped out at me..“God’s word will not return void”
    there is a message in that for me and I thank you!!!!!!

Besides, who would want a God that we could control??

3. Salvageable says:

I’ve known some preachers whose sermons were just like God’s love–incomprehensible and never ending. But 2:30 in the morning? That’s ridiculous! J.

😀 I don’t find many long ones anymore. Many have to get the whole ball of wax completed in 58 minutes; woe be to the Holy Spirit is he doesn’t fit our time clock! He knows we meet from 10:00 to 11:00, so what’s he waiting for! I long for two hour sermons which set me on fire, stomp on my toes, teach me something I’ve never known before, excite me for the eternal, and make me want to be at least a little “more Christian” than when I came in.. Gone are those days. I doubt anyone under sixty knows what I’m talking about.

Thank you for your balanced and thought-provoking blog. Yes! indeed He cannot be manipulated. Thankfully! Thank God that His Word will never return void. Thinking too isn’t it wonderful to KNOW that the church is God’s People – the ones who truly LOVE HIM. Not a building! We go to a building because it offers protection from the elements but were all the natural to ‘fall away’ then where is the Church? Baghdad is a perfect example of this in 2016. One dynamic Bride for the bridegroom is being formed from the ashes. God’s People across the vastness of this world – such is the sacrifice of Calvary and the ONE who died that ALL may be ONE in HIM. One Glorious Day! That is the Hope reminder to us all. Blessings and Grace and Thank you.

5. oneta hayes says:

Yes, God is the same forever. He will continue to love, teach, discipline in the way he knows is best for us. He will give us all we can be trusted with. And he will demand obedience. We are fortunate to have his Word to help us know him and get instruction for being his child. I am now 20 years older than my father was when he died. Surely I have as much in my head as he did, but it doesn’t seem like it. I can’t even imagine being as smart as my earthly father. Isn’t that strange. 😀 That was kind of a random thought out of the blue! 😀

6. calensariel says:

Oneta, I just love your honesty and sense of humor!!! I was a church secretary for 22 years and I know exactly what you mean!

People (even the preacher-type) are funny sometimes. Yes, the church secretary is in a prime spot for “funny.” Doesn’t equate bad, however. Thankfully.

7. Dawn Marie says:

I love to read how you weave the complexities of life into such simple realities!! God has blessed you abundantly & I am so grateful He sprinkled humor on top of the talents He has given you!