GOD IS NOT CAPRICIOUS

dove 2

“Do you think God is more likely to answer prayer if I ask others to pray with me?  Is it better to ask a lot of people, like on FB?” I have been asked.  Today I’m going to respond.

So here it is, my answer with a pound of opinion and an ounce of scripture.

There is truth in the statement that when everyone does it, no one does it. Sometimes people fail to do something because they think others will.

The Bible says to call for elders.   Don’t just go to any Tom, Dick, or Harry.  I think that it is even best if one does really call for the elders to come—not just “go forward” during service time.  Which takes more faith from both the pray-ers and the pray-ees? If someone calls me and asks me to come pray, you can bet I’ll hike myself over there with great faith and burden!  I would like to know two or three would be there ”where two or three are together in his name.” Also, I believe it is more likely possible to have unity between two or three than among many.

But  ONE passionate prayer might be enough.  According to James 5:16 “the effectual, fervent prayer of “a righteous man availeth much.”

Paul asked entire churches to pray for him, so I can’t knock congregational prayer requests; however, I think that can turn into gossip, lack of unity, and “leaving it to the others to do the praying.”

God is not capricious; he is not fickle; he is not moody! He is faithful; he never changes; he is love, always!

I can’t imagine that he would get upset at anyone using every source at their command (including face book) to ask for prayer. I just think the specifics as stated above should be followed, probably first.  And VERY IMPORTANT – the reason for the prayer is important to how many you share with.  Many needs are very personal, or harmful to other people if the specifics are known.  And there is not much safety in “unknown requests.”

Have a prayer buddy (confess your faults one to another… Notice this is confess YOUR faults); take two or three into your confidence (those who will be unified in behalf of your need/one can’t be praying for one answer and the other one for a different answer); call for the elders of the church.  As I said, God is not capricious.

And remember Psalm 118:8-9 “It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man/princes.” Keep your confidence in your Lord not in the number, faithfulness, wisdom, nor prayers of man.

If all else fails, be a Daniel. Go it alone.

Some things I would not even share with one person, particularly if it is a need involving relationships.  Take it to the Lord.  He is not into counting numbers.  And gossip flies!  Jesus cares. He says cast our cares on Him. He will listen! I think most of the instructions and formulas are to test one’s obedience anyway. My opinion again!

This entry was posted in prayer, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to GOD IS NOT CAPRICIOUS

1. a boon of wisdom Oneta—I’m still hanging on that a prayer shall not return void!!!!

Actually the scripture says,”God’s words will not return void.” But I assume if we are praying his word in accordance to his will, that scripture will apply. Thanks, Julie, for always saying encouraging things.

• I was paraphrasing in the nutshell– but yes “not return void”– meaning empty.. we will not go unanswered– even as we wait on the when and how- we rest knowing He is not silent! I find tremendous comfort in that!
        Thank you Oneta!!!

2. Beautiful words of wisdom, as always.

3. Roos Ruse says:

During a coffee group meeting my sister had called me to ask for prayer (for her daughter) knowing I take prayer seriously. I told her, “Sweetheart, I’m glad to pray and would like to hear that Niece is praying too, especially for herself.” Not knowing the niece has been living contrary to her professed beliefs, this began a lively conversation with my friends on the subject had some friends and I going on and on. I appreciate your points and hope I remember to bring them up this week!

That’s interesting timing. Hopefully your niece will mature and find the joy of talking directly to the Lord. Meantime, pray for her and her need. Sometimes, however, a person might not be concerned about themselves; they just want their problems to go away without having to make any changes. God is so loving, patient, and long-suffering, and he gives time to grow. But the Bible says that he disciplines as a loving Father. May it be that her need will draw her quickly to self-evaluation and a hunger and thirst for him. 😀

4. atimetoshare.me says:

Great words Oneta. We are of one mind. Our prayers are a lifeline to God. He wants to hear from us, but in the end, he will answer in his time and way. He doesn’t need our prayers, but we need to pray.

I think he likes to her his kids talk to him. Often they are more apt to do that when they are in trouble than when all things are going well. You are right that we fulfill many of our own needs when we pray to him.

5. calmkate says:

no truer words spoken … you are the wise elder Oneta 🙂

6. Dear Oneta, for some reason I am not getting your email posts. I do enjoy them, I will figure this out. I have many of my church friends/ Pastors, family (spread out through many states) and other Christians across the nation. I have requested prayer many times on that medium, but I am careful about things of a personal matter, my settings are friends only. When I’ve had to have surgeries or procedures, or when my mama, who lived in another state and was struggling with chronic illnesses and Alzheimers, I would shoot out a request (she and daddy did not attend church, mama was too weak most of the time, anyway).to my FB friends and family. I know that some will say they are praying and will shoot up a quick prayer, and a few others really stand in the gap. I guess it has its place, but it does concern me when I see others posting things about their husbands, or personal matters concerning other people, that’s nothing but gossip. We need to be careful and have discernment, that’s for sure!

Karen, I sorry to be so late responding to this. My blogging has been hit and miss for a couple of weeks. And sorry to say it has been more miss than hit. 😀 You have responded with a well thought out comment. A lot does depend on the “company you keep.” You will know whether your request will be taken seriously or not.

7. Thank you for this encouragement! 😇