TOO MANY, TOO MUCH

books

After 12 days in ICU with no bath, no head wash, the doctor said they were moving me to the Step Down Unit where I would be bathing every day. He said he did not want me to use the same wash cloth to wash all my body – use one on the incision, toss it down and then use another. I assumed another or two for the rest of my body, wouldn’t you?

The day did come, and I was helped into a stall, water turned on. Ah, good! But wait, the nurse reached in with a handful (probably 7 to 9) washcloths which she draped on the rail water raining down on them. Hold it. What in the world do I do with seven or more washcloths. Don’t even think I have that many body parts.

Made me think of five fork place dinner settings. Then you can also buy up to about 12 specialized forks! I guess I must not be couth!  I have no idea what they all mean!

And speaking of having too much of something, I’m adrift in too many books.  Decided to really clean my book shelves and do a bit of evaluating about what to do with the books.  I’ve been on e-bay to see if I have a gold mine among them.  So far not so much.  Most are about eight dollars or less; several are around twenty dollars; a few surprises – even fifty or sixty.  But I remember those e-bay people are trying to sell for that, not necessarily selling them!

Makes me think of Jesus saying for us not to be taken by surfeiting. Surfeiting – being filled to excess. I am soon going to be writing about JEHOVAH M’KADDISH (God who sanctifies). I am hesitant to do so because I am not great on theological debates. I just want to present some things in a common sense, down home way that I think makes sanctification easier to understand.

So I’m asking for you to join me in seeking to find what God wants when he says for us to be holy as he is holy. One of those issues is to make some sacrifice of even okay things like too many washcloths, too many forks and too many books.

One of the “breaks-my-heart” scriptures is Hosea 12:6 “When I fed them, they were satisfied; when they were satisfied, they became proud; then they forgot me.”

Join me in learning more about JEHOVAH M’KADDISH.

This entry was posted in sanctification, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to TOO MANY, TOO MUCH

Wait — what? I couldn’t quite tell if your ICU story is recent, or from the past. I certainly hope you haven’t been in ICU recently. I think we would have heard about that!

“Surfeit” is such a great word. It’s one of those that’s fallen out of favor. Of course, these are the days when the general response to “thank you” is “no problem,” rather than “you’re welcome.” What a world.

I answered this a few hours ago but my computer was so slow, I apparently closed out before the comment was posted. Anyway, no, it is not recent. I would have avoided the question if I had just started off with “In 2013..” I saw this part of a post I had put on FB back when it was new news. So I used this introductory part to lead me into what I wanted to say. Not a mark of a great writer! But you like “surfeit” so you kindly put some salve on my hurt ego! The “no problem” gets under my skin but then some of the kindest young people say it. But then I’m not sure I would be any happier with “Well it was a great deal of trouble but you’re welcome.” Just “You’re welcome” still seems best, doesn’t it?

2. Awesome! You actually are great at “theological discussions,” because it’s straight from the heart.Too many big words and complicated theories are kind of like all those washcloths.

3. cwaugh212 says:

What about choosing one book per day and thinking about just the right person in your life who might enjoy or get something important from that book. Then give the book to that person. Another approach might be to find a person in your life and match that person to one of your books. Let the books have an impact. What better price could you ever receive?

You are kind to think of practical things to do. I had a lot of old post magazines once upon a time. Sometimes I took them for older people in the hospital. I thought that was a good idea, maybe. It would suit me better than flowers. These books are so old, they would only be appreciated by older people or collectors. I gave a lot of them to Salvation Army a couple of times. They seemed to appreciate them as that is a place collectors look. I think some might be nice in nursing homes, but I haven’t tried that. Thanks for commenting. I like interaction.

4. Ok Oneta, was this a recent trip to ICU or during the heart attack and you left us hanging, did you figure out what to do with all the washcloths 🙂

See reply above to shoreacres. No, I’m fine health-wise; just messed up writing-wise. I probably put soap on all of them and left them nice and soapy on the floor so I would appear couth! 😀 (I don’t dare check out my use of couth. I’m pretty sure I would find out I am uncouth.) I heard from a new blogger today who said she came to me via Julie. Thanks.

Okay, I figured this was from the past, but confirmed from the above. Looking forward to your series–is it going to be posted on certain days? I’m heading back to work (school year is starting up) and I don’t want to miss. You know how busy it gets when the kids come back!!

I do everything so irregularly, dawnliz. Sorry I’m not more dependable. I have the next one mostly done. Plan to post tomorrow, but out of state company is on the way so I might not get it finished tonight. I have spend my blogging time quite a lot of it today on reading. Yes, I remember those days. Especially the first few weeks of getting everybody “pegged” for their particular needs. I have a couple of manuscripts on sanctification that I will draw from but hope to lighten them enough that bloggers will read. You are the expert at that. Grab attention then plunge in the scripture!

6. Lol…seven washcloths? Wow! I look forward to reading your post(s) about JEHOVAH M’KADDISH. I’m a follower now. 😀

We will have a good time together. I didn’t know what to do with that many washclothes. As I told Julie above, I just probably left them laying around looking used! 😀

7. M.K. Aneal says:

You have such a beautiful writing style, and a lovely sense of humor. Your blog always uplifts me. I’m looking forward to these posts ahead! 😀

8. calensariel says:

Poor little Hosea is such a forgotten, over-looked book, and yet so important. Our pastor did a sermon series on it recently.