MY STUNNING NAIL POLISH

red nails

I have another hospital story from 2013 to tell you about.

After about 13 days in ICU, I had a new nurse who was having a bit of trouble getting my finger oxygen-reading-doomajigger to work. She commented that it must be because of my nail polish. I quickly told her the others had had no problem for 13 days so it must be something else.  I didn’t point out to her that it must be her fault, but I was willing to fight for my finger nails.

I didn’t want her to file off my bright red glittery nail polish. It was the only thing cosmetically about me that had lasted amid the dirty hair, no makeup, body odor.  I had been complimented on it by several nurses and I felt like it did show that once upon a time I had cared about my physical appearance.  Who knows, someone might identify me as the old woman with the stunning nail polish, not the old woman with the chin hairs.  😀

But I really didn’t think that was the best Christian witness I could leave.  Did I really want to be known as the woman with the bright red glittery nail polish?

I felt better when I got home and scanned through my hospital records. I found one that described me as well-developed female; another described me as a very pleasant 79 year old female. Very pleasant?  Oh, good. But not one description included the fact that I had beautiful finger nails!

Finger nail polish. In my background that would have been a mark of not being sanctified.  However, sanctification is not the color of one’s finger nails, but it might be the pride in one’s finger nails. Sanctification is not how I dress or wear my hair but it will probably influence my decision about how I dress or wear my hair.

Does God care how we dress?  Yes, he does.  This is what the Bible says:  “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience” Col. 3:12. I’m being a bit tricky, aren’t I?  It would be so much easier if “being holy” were a matter of what color dress or shirt to wear.  But it’s not, so….

Sanctification?  What is that?  In my words, it means set aside and prepared for some holy purpose.

Next post on this matter introduces you to Jehovah-M’Kaddish, the God who sanctifies.

This entry was posted in Jehovah-M'Kaddish, sanctification, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to MY STUNNING NAIL POLISH

1. I love your stories Oneta!!!!!

2. Roos Ruse says:

Great post idea, Oneta! I’m a little disappointed nobody mentioned the red nail color. Also, I didn’t know comments after a hospital stay were available – but I’d bet comments about my family and me are an interesting read.

Roo, I have been in the hospital here in my city a couple of times. I do not have anything of the kind of paperwork I brought back from Denver. I think I got copies of many more things because I came home only one day after getting out of ICU. I’m sure those doctors thought I would come home and go immediately to a hospital or rehab. In fact there were appointments made while I was there for me to see doctors here. The surgeon even sent a video of the surgery to be given to my cardiologist here. When I got here both the primary doctor and the cardiologist told me I was lucky to be alive, sent me home with home care a couple of times a week for a month and oxygen for two weeks. Other than that I was on my own with my husband’s care. I can either consider that I had very poor doctors here or the Lord did amazing things for me. Of course, since I’m alive you know what I think. I still have a copy of the paperwork from that Denver hospital. I look at it occasionally to see if I’m alive and sure enough I am!

3. I’m looking forward to the next post. Do you post daily?

I’m sort of random, but I post more often than not. How is that for commitment? As young people would say, “Not.” I try to do about three or four serious posts per week. Hopefully my serious is fun. In addition to those, I love haiku challenges and do other challenges once in a while. I hope a balance of my stuff will weight in my favor. One good thing, I almost never write more than 500 words. If I have more to say, I’ll say it later. Perhaps you have noticed my comments can get pretty long. 😀

4. Sometimes it is the little things that helps us retain our dignity even if its not necessary.

5. calensariel says:

Adorable story! I can SO relate to how you were feeling in the hospital!!! I generally wear clear or very light pink polish for the exact reasons you said.

Thanks, Calen. My nails are in terrible condition now; for the last two years I do not wear any polish except nail strengthener. Is that God exacting punishment on my for my pride? No, I’m joking. However, there are people who might hop to that conclusion. It takes very little to start a strange doctrine. 😀

• calensariel says:

I hear ya. I use Sally Hanson Hard As Nails. Does a pretty good job. But I tell ya what, this Myasthenia Gravis is really ruining my nails, even with that.

Calen, I think the Sally Hanson is what I use. I also take Biotin every day. I think they are helping; at least, I’m still trying. What is the relationship between the Myasthenia Gravis and your nails? Does it also affect hair? Sorry you have to deal with that serious problem.

6. M.K. Aneal says:

Wow, oh wow! No one could have said it better–I really loved this post! †