EATING HUMBLE PIE

humble pie

EATING HUMBLE PIE.  Why am I on this self-evaluation mode this morning? I don’t know but it is humbling. So if I write it maybe someone will tell me how great I am while I am in this enlightened stage in which I know I know very little. I’m really not in the pits about it, however; just something else to roll over onto my friend, Jesus!  Along with an acknowledgement that he really does know better how to rule this world than I do.  He doesn’t need my advice, and my plan Q or R wouldn’t be any good anyway.

It started somehow by the scripture about remembering God’s deeds (Ps 77:11-12) which has absolutely no connection to where I’ve ended up!

Somehow I thought I would put myself on about an upper 80’s scale in intelligence, but woe is me if I were grading myself on knowledge. I considered maybe a 5 out of 100; then I knew that was way too high if it came to all earthly knowledge!

So I’ve tried to limit it to knowledge of all things relating too our culture in the good ole USA. But medical, mechanical, chemical, biology, … Still way too high.

So I’m limiting it again. Can I claim 20% in the education, childhood area? Getting closer. Whee!  But that is only things that relate to cognitive intelligence, teaching, and learning. Even there I’m losing out.

I’ve decided.  I claim to be at least 80% proficient in teaching reading to first graders who come from Okie land. See Jane. See Jane run. See Spot. See Spot run.

I’m sure glad God willed for me to be a reading teacher. ‘Fraid I don’t know anything else!

Lighten the mood a bit today.  Have a great Sunday.

This entry was posted in intelligence, learning, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to EATING HUMBLE PIE

I’m from the era of “see Tom and his airplane” or something like that. I’ll bet you were a fab teacher!

I nailed See Spot, but that was as a student not teacher. I met someone at church this morning whose name was Terry. When I sat down I ran though the list Barry, Harry, Larry, Jerry, Kerry, Sherry – I wonder how I explained the difference in the sound of that “a” and “e.” I guess I did it like I did for spelling something for my greats the other day. “Some thing don’t make sense, huh? You just got to learn it. In Oklahoma, that is.” I’m still hung over. 😀

2. LOL! Humble pie is actually yummy. 🙂

My oldest kid was a victim of all this curriculum and complication could barely read. Fortunately she got the chicken pox, because a few days at home gave us the time to simply bring back the basics. I remember her excitement, her realization that reading was actually easy. Sometimes simple is best.

One of my favorite sayings is, “God is good and I am a moron.” Humble pie perhaps, but such wisdom makes you smart.

3. I just need to keep being reminded that God does not need my input to run this planet of ours, or is that planet of His???, despite how hard I keep trying to give it to Him—so thank you for reminding me….

Yes, he has in worked out. And I know its right, but oh sooooo slow.

• I agree as this evening’s discourse in the blogosphere has been but a small microcosm of exasperation!!!
        A ‘what’s definitely wrong with this world’ found in but a few comments…How He maintains His patience is a marvel….

I’m surprised he doesn’t give us all a small rub with a poison ivy plant. Keep us all busy scratching for a bit while he gets some rest. No, if we have an itch we will all go running to him at the same time. That wouldn’t keep us away. He might let us all find a ten dollar bill. We could hop right on down to the dollar store and choose our nine items (gotta pay tax). That will keep us occupied a bit. Nary a one of us would be saying, “Lord, do you think I need another Sudoku book. No, sirree, I’d just buy that little killer and stay out of his hair a while. 😀

Oh how much your blog has related to me today. I see the world and all its KNOWLEDGE AND ACHIEVEMENTS and yet see also the rising tide of unbelief that once underpinned all our learned societies. Some time I know I know about 2% of what is going on in the sense of UNDERSTANDING. I am thankful and eternally grateful for the faith that both energises but comforts me. I too like Julie am grateful that as long as I surrender to HIM my 2c He has the knowledge and sense of all I really need to travel onwards. He also will teach me what is necessary to journey on. Like a little child, I will come.

It is so comforting to know God sees me as his daughter. I think about my own sons both over 55 and they are as precious to me as when they were toddlers. I’m glad they are independent from me but not independent from God. That’s how I want to be. It is comforting to be God’s dependent!

5. luckyjc007 says:

Just the mention of Jane and Spot brings back so many memories! I still have one of the books with Jane, Dick, Sally, and Spot in it.

I have one also – a paperback, pre-primer, I think, but it was not mine. I bought it somewhere. Those rascals are high priced. I think a primer in good shape will cost about $80. I bought a pretty good McGuffey for about forty dollars, but I top out for more than that.