WASN’T WORTH IT!

trophy

I try to say goodbye,

I take it down, but with a sign

I place it back upon the shelf,

I’ll dump it later I tell myself.

I hurt a friend of twenty years

She almost broke down in tears

The night I won the final contest

And everybody said that I was best.

I didn’t know she would care so much

“Twas just a game, – a little touch

Of who is the greatest one

When all is said, when all is done.

I won the game, but I lost

Being champ came with great cost.

For what was just a game for me,

Was a loss for her for all to see

It is time for it to go,

Now there’s no one left to know,

The memories it brings to me.

My scrabble trophy, earned in 1993.

This entry was posted in champion, friendship, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to WASN’T WORTH IT!

1. judyjourneys says:

I understand what you mean by “Now there’s no one left to know, The memories it brings to me.” So well said, Oneta!

Yes, most of the main characters in this event are gone. I did change the year to make it a bit harder for anybody to remember the contestants. Although I’m sure it was water under the bridge except for my friend and me. Thanks Judy.

2. ~M says:

Oh that’s so sad… This is why I don’t enter contests very often. Lol…. 😉

3. sandeept252 says:

What wonderful message the poem carries!
    The pain of losing a friend is far greater than the pleasure of winning.

4. I kept looking at the trophy, trying to figure out what it could represent. I have to admit, Scrabble took me by surprise lol

5. “Being champ came with great cost.” So true. Thanks for sharing.

6. Beaton says:

nothing is just ever a game….. even a game.
    ~B

7. Pingback: Of Coffee grown from a teapot shaped country | Becoming The Muse

8. It is very strange how people become so upset of something as simple as a game. Win or lose it is just a game. The one who plays the best on the day wins. Perhaps the friendship was already lost before the competition.

It is hard often to ascertain what may be just a ‘game’ for one person and for the other is extremely IMPORTANT.A very thought provoking poem to make us all think. Thank you.

10. Dawn Marie says:

I love Scrabble!!! Fortunately, I’ve never been competitive & can still enjoy game playing without the added pressure of wins vs loses. I do shy away from playing with those who do however…for which I’m very grateful. I am glad you were able to dispose of the heavy weight this win brought you, I pray you replace its space with something that brings you JOY instead! Hugs & Blessings!

Not much good now. I intend to take the plate off if I can Then maybe someone can use it for something else. I did play with a couple ladies last week. I had terrific luck of the draw, keeping consonants and vowels with every turn and I drew blanks and s’s. I won, both games. Sadly, I’m afraid I won’t get to play again. I was a fill in for a person who was absent. It was pure luck that I won, but …. I

11. luckyjc007 says:

Sad to realize a win for you may not be such a win after all. Contests are great in a lot of ways, but do cause changes in people…good and bad.

It probably was not a riff that would have lasted. We might have had more games except for moving and aging. That called for a change from that set of people whom I loved. But I moved right on to others I loved, and so did she. She has made her last move now – she was Heaven bound.