YOU’VE GOT TALENT.!?

steel worker

YOU’VE GOT TALENT.!?

I’ve used all those punctuation marks on purpose. I could be telling you, amazed at you, or asking you.

Maybe you don’t recognize it, but you have something within you that you like to do, that you’re good at, and that can be used in God’s kingdom! Remember the parable of the talents? Notice that nobody was left out! One talent was the minimum given to anyone!

One problem with our thinking about talent, is that we have attached the word “talent” to the arts, such as painting, singing, or dancing.  After 2017 America’s Got Talent Darci Lynn Farmer, we would probably add ventriloquism!  Wasn’t she amazing.  Bragging on my hometown girl.  If you haven’t seen her, she is certainly worth a peek.

Read Exodus chapters 35 and 36. See how many times there is a statement about “skilled” people being needed.

Skills mentioned in Exodus are: Perfumer (maybe pharmacist, maker of incense), Embroiderer, Needleworker, Dyer, Spinner, Weaver, Engraver, Jeweler, Stonecutter, Tailor, Metalworker.  (The picture above is not likely to represent metalworkers of that day!)

Hope that list is enough to convince you that God has a place for your skills!

But hold on a bit.  Two other things are needed (also listed repeatedly in Ex. 35 and 36) – that is you must be willing and have a God-inspired heart.   I call that a creativity given by God—King James Bible  calls it “witty inventions” Proverbs 8:12.  I love that.  Don’t you love writing something that you feel is God-inspired, witty, and unique?

This entry was posted in talent, Uncategorized, writespiration and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to YOU’VE GOT TALENT.!?

1. Amen! Love this post. I also appreciate your witty and God given talent to give us a good word everyday. We really need that in this nutty world. 🙂

• Oneta Hayes says:

Love it, IB, when you confirm that my blog is worthwhile. I admit to being intimidated by stats. They are discouraging to me. I’ll change on “one pictures is worth a thousand words” and say “your word is like a thousand likes.” 😀

2. I was amazed by Darci Lynn and so proud of a shy quiet middle American girl shining so brightly—and as a retired Art teacher—I agree, the word talent is way too attached to “the arts”—and as a former educator we as a society has place way too much emphasis on the academically gifted—meaning that it is to college we all must go in order to be considered successful—but there are a great many gifted, talented, smart folks out there doing some amazing things who opted not for the traditional college route—those who may have opted for a trade school / vocational school…those who work the land, etc….
    Excellent words as always my wise friend!!!

Thanks so much, Julie. I love your confirmation and broadening of my posts. We really do have an “occupational hierarchy” in our culture. I notice it even in myself when I speak of my husband as a “pre-med” instructor, not just any old teacher, you know, but one of those who nudged the medical field. 😀 A funny lot, are we! I’m teaching “Amos” to my Sunday class. It is full of this upper/lower status stuff. Hilarious description of women lying on their ivory couches ordering their husbands to bring them wine! When you read all the book you know they are crushing and oppressing their servants also – at least I would classify them among the needy. And the men are doing their share of abuse also.

3. Dawn Marie says:

God’s provision can never be outdone and He has definitely filled your well to the brim with talent! I (for one) and grateful to have you share so many of these uniques talents with us! Hugs that you do!!!

Love the blog and the term ‘god inspired heart’ has ministered to me. Yes your thoughts are ever inspirational. Personally I never look at ‘stats’. My hope is that someone even just one person may drop by and glean something of benefit from whatever I have penned. Keep travelling with Him ……..Keep writing from your God-inspired heart knowing you are valued and appreciated.

5. sandeept252 says:

I first knew about Darci through Quora. Then I watched her videos and they were really amazing. She can sing so well without moving her lips, she’s a good sense of humour, can use two sticks on a puppet. Wow! Couldn’t believe for a while.

6. I totally enjoyed watching Darcy. She’s amazing. It baffles me sometimes when I hear someone emphasize that they are not talented and I’m inclined to argue with them over that. Each of us is blessed with at least one and it only takes tapping within to find and harness it. I enjoyed reading your inspiring post Oneta 🙂

Thank you, dear lady. It is amazing how wonderful it feels to discover you really like to do what you are good at and you can be good at what you really like to do! Fortunately a lot of the time you can make money while doing it. Just set about using that talent and see where it leads. 😀

7. Pingback: Featured Posts…Share Your Post Links | a cooking pot and twisted tales