COFFEE INTERLUDE

coffeeThe soldier had been on the bus six hours when the girl sat beside him.

“Where you going?” he asked.

“To college,” she replied.

Time was long;  they chatted the forty miles to her destination.

Driver called, “Unload for twenty minutes.”

“Coffee?” the soldier asked.

“Sounds good,” she answered.

Slipping into a booth, they ordered coffee.

“I hope you won’t have to go to Korea.”

“Might as well be me as anyone.”

More chat.  He drank his coffee; she sipped hers.

“All aboard.”

He was off to training; she to the classroom.

Why do I remember?  Because I hated coffee!

This entry was posted in me, short story, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to COFFEE INTERLUDE

1. wow—and did we ever hear more about the soldier??

Lovely Story. ? True? (I think it is….WOW!) Thank you.

It did happen. He was on base near Colo Springs, I think. I was in Lamar Junior College. I rode the bus from Springfield to Lamar in Coloado, school year ’51-52. Didn’t know much about flirting, but drinking coffee seemed like a place to start. 😀

3. Pastor Randy says:

Now that’s what it means to love others the way Jesus loves you!

4. Dawn Marie says:

Tiny snippets of two lives momentarily connected. I hope one day, little snippets of our own beloved soldier remain in the minds & the hearts of another.

5. Roos Ruse says:

I adore stories like this (nobody gets physical before returning to the bus). It stands alone while leaving the reader wanting more. Masterful, Oneta.

6. calensariel says:

What a great piece of flash fiction, Oneta! Loved it!

7. joyroses13 says:

OOOH loved the twist at the end! 🙂

😀 True, I can’t stand coffee. Of course, I never again tried it. Now I might if I would give it a try. My husband is a coffee drinker; never had to try liking it with him!