DANDELIONS AND SPARROWS

dandelion sparrow

ON SPARROWS AND DANDELIONS.  I remember the delight of dandelions.  I remember the delight of sparrows.  I was about the same age when I found out they were both pests.  Since then I’ve been fighting them.  Pulled up dandelions the other day and also closed up the martin house so the sparrows couldn’t nest in it.  Few days later, we opened the martin house and got martins.  Still fighting the dandelions.  Will fight the sparrows again next spring.

Dandelions are easy to grow, they have pretty yellow flowers, tall straight stems, and nice fluffy seeds.  Sparrows are pretty little birds.  Even science classifies them as song birds.   I have complained that life gets too complicated.  Maybe it gets that way because we make it that way.

It would be so much easier to let dandelions grow and sparrows sing.

****************

Since I posted about dandelions yesterday, I decided to post this little bit that I wrote several years ago  Happy Dandelion Day!  – joking

(image 123rf)

This entry was posted in spring, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to DANDELIONS AND SPARROWS

1. Well written and cute post on sparrows and dandelions ! Liked reading this 😊

My fight this year has been with the pigeons. They run off other birds, and do make a mess. On the other hand, now that I’m down to a half-dozen or so, I’ve come to know each of them by their feather patterns, and rather enjoy them coming by for a drink or a bath. But if they think there’s ever going to be food put out again, they’re sadly mistaken. Peanuts in the shell for the bluejays and cardinals, yes. Sometimes raisins or bits of other fruit for the mockingbirds and sparrows, yes. But no seed! The pigeons will have to go to the fields to get their food.

• shoreacres says:

I just looked at my email inbox, and realized that one of the bloggers I follow uses the screen name “house sparrow.”

I think we had a few pigeons. We did have a relative who raised them, so I remember the coups and how messy they were. Are the nests called coups? It seems like the building had a different name. No, I think they would be annoying. I do like their sound and they are pretty, however. Maybe I could be talked into having some. I’m a wimp when it comes to birds. I don’t have many – I don’t feed them. But I love to look out and see them.

3. Ahhhh,I like this. It’s shame we have trouble maintaining that childlike sense of wonder and delight and these things soon become pests and weeds. I am over run with dandelions, but something I like to do when I am war with them, is to take a teapot of hot water outside and pour it on them. It’s non toxic,free, and they die. Took me years to learn this. We don’t have to dig them out or use chemicals,you just give them a sip of hot water a few times and they go away. I’m a lazy weeder.

Yes, you are right about childlike wonder and delight of nature. Nature in the raw is good enough. Adults want to control – to whip; into shape. Thanks for the hot water solution. It sounds like something I could do. I didn’t know there was a way to be a laze weeder. I either overwork or don’t do it. Thanks for the comment. I’m sure others will like your answer.

4. Salvageable says:

I agree with all my heart with your closing sentences. Oh, and by the way, dandelion leaves make a good salad (but you have to harvest them before the flowers open, or they’ll be too bitter). I also understand that a decent tea can be made from dandelions. J.

I am interested in the salad idea. However, I probably could not eat them now because of the Vit K in green veggies – (the blood clotting thing). Have you heard of poke salad. My neighbor has asked me for some of my poke because she likes poke salad. I just pulled it up before she asked for it.

5. one man’s or woman’s weed is another’s bouquet 🙂

6. I’m glad to read this post. Foor years I didn’t like the overgrown of clovers because they cover my flowers. I considered them weeds until last year. My plum trees had blossoms earlier than any flowers. There were no bees to pollinate the plum blossoms. I looked at the clovers with yellow flowers, I decided to pull them. After a couple handfuls, I saw bees hovering over the yellow flowers. I turned around to look at my plum tree, there they were, the bees were hovering over my plum blossom also. I regret pulling those handfuls and almost wanted to plant them back. Last year, I had a couple hundred plums, more than I could eat even after I had given some away!

Miriam, thanks for the tip. We had two tomatoes this year on about six vines. I don’t think I saw a bee all summer and very few butterflies. Next year I need to remember to grow something that will get the attention of the little pollinaters! We have had some peaches in other years but not this year. I don’t know whether the tree is still out there. I’ll try to remember to ask my husband. I generally hate the dropped off fruit from it and the apple tree. I do know the apple tree has been cut down because of worms in the trunk. We are not great gardeners!

I have a love for both dandelions and sparrows and ‘pests’ though they may be classified in some folks perspective. neither are ‘pests’ to me. However, I do occasionally interfere if marauding kookaburras try to ‘take over’ little treats left out for magpies.(I jump (joke) up and down)and scare the kookaburras way. Sparrows like crows have their purpose in the ‘cleaning’ up of crumbs and bodies. I often wonder who God deems as ‘pests’ in animal kingdom and among human kind? Country by country we have species that have been introduced that are alien and ‘pest’ to us. For us sadly it is rabbits, foxes, carp fish, feral cats – all the things introduced are decimating our native species, Even plants like lantana….. beautiful, colourful and the delightful blue ? goat’s breath fern but all spread across our landscape like wildfire and start killing not just the cattle (introduced) but native animals as well. Too hard for me to fathom. What is a pest? Thanks for your blog, Oneta.

For your country it sounds like pests are the animals and plants that are not native. I guess pests and weeds are animals and plants that are unwanted, many times because they destroy other plants and animals that are wanted. And some are pests because they are dirty or carry disease. I guess a mosquito has a function in the wild but it is certainly a pest to me! I guess it is beauty in the eye of the beholder. Since the curse on the world because of sin, I suppose some weeds and pests are part of the reason man has to labor and toil for his livelihood. 😀