PARABLE OF THE BOWL

dog dish

THE PARABLE OF THE BOWL

As always Bowl was sitting in the shadow of the mud room wall waiting again for Servant to come and fill it with food scraps for Dog, who knocked it around as he licked down the leftovers. Disgusted and humiliated, Bowl eyed the beautiful container sitting high on the display table in the adjoining room, its sheen gleaming in the rays of the sun.

Bowl grieved that its lot in life was for such common use – just a common ol’ dog bowl.

One day Bowl heard Madam telling Servant “…some bowls…are for special purposes, others are for common use. Take only the clean, shiny bowls for the display table.”

Bowl considers his problem.   It is true that Bowl is not clean – with bits of food left on its outside, dirt on its bottom, dog slobbers sloshing inside. Bowl decided to spruce up a bit. So by carefully conserving the slobbers, it rubbed itself until it was spotless and shiny.

“Oh, Servant,” Madam said, “I never noticed that bowl being such a glowing color before. It will be a beautiful display item!” So Servant made a special place for Bowl, right next to the beautiful container at the center of the display table!

Bowl could tell us it is very true that those who cleanse themselves from common use will be instruments for special purposes. (II Timothy 2:20-21)

This entry was posted in inspiration, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to PARABLE OF THE BOWL

1. A lovely lesson and parable. Except we cleanse and make ourselves fit for purpose we can’t be used as instruments for special purpose.

Thanks, Jacque. Most parables have a moral or a lesson within them. As far as doctrine or theology is concerned, I do not subscribe to my “bowl” cleaning itself for the Master’s use. I am on the end of believing Jesus’ blood makes us clean when he forgives our sins. However, most do not want to believe that way because it is not what the eye sees in the behavior of Christians. Most want to believe they have to sin a little (muddy up the dish) every so often. I don’t believe we have to; I just believe we do. That is the reason for Jesus, the intercessor, and the reason I pray daily that he will forgive my sins. See, my theology is much more complicated than my parable! 😀 But I do believe his has a special purpose for each of us – some used appear more worthy than others to people but to God each has a noble purpose to fulfill – even if it is the toenail on the little toe!

As a parable this contains wonderful teaching. I feel too the less worthy-looking bowl indeed had his own special purpose (if only he/she could realise it) God uses the ‘least likely’ for His Greater Purposes. Perhaps feeding the dog had a Higher Calling. Thank you. Thoughts only. Blessing and Grace.

Actually I guess feeding anything would be more noble than looking pretty. 😀 But it is important that we try to clean up and look our best. More influence that way – probably. That may not be present day thinking however, since we seem to be in a time when preachers dress down often to the place of looking sloppy. I don’t think that is respecting people or God. Oh, another blog another time.

• ours just preached about that; I have mixed feelings

Hi, donnainthesouth. Thanks for reading and commenting. If you are reading “theology” of “doctrine” into this parable, I can see room for confusion. As you can see from my answer to Jacque, I wouldn’t subscribe to it myself. My parable as all parables is a story with a moral or lesson in it. 😀 I’m wondering what your preacher preached. I’m sure I would find it interesting.

• I think you’re thinking I’m reading more into it than at least was commenting on; merely commenting on your comment about how preachers dressing

Oh, yes. I was off track for sure. I sort of think the current trend in dress for preachers is patronizing. Put on suits when going to the bank, put on name brands when going to play gold, put on smart casual when going shopping. Then putting on wrinkled jeans with a flopping shirt tail and flip flops to talk to me and God. They think I don’t know they would dress better than that if they were going to dinner on a cruise ship? If they can’t afford better that’s another matter. But all preachers I know can afford better. I reached my limit when a pastor wore sweats on Sunday morning His “humility” was disgusting to me. Oh, donnainthesouth, I guess I’ve shown which side I’m on. I dress thrift store and Cato’s but I don’t want them to dress thrift store and Cato to show me they can be as common as I am! 😀

3. Jackie says:

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
    Preach it, sister.

4. oneta hayes says:

donnainthesouth, to log in to your own admin enter you URL /login

• I found it; not sure how, but now don’t know how to delete these, if you’d like to

No, I wouldn’t want to delete. I enjoy the interaction in comments. Besides one needs to know if they are saying what they intend to say. How else to learn? Glad you got the adm problem located. But now what to do, huh? I’m of very little use technologically. But I’m learning . I’d like to do all those nice widgets and text box thingys at the sides, but I’m lost when it come to such. Good to chat with you. See you later, I hope.

• I was just talking about the admin comments, not the others but I feel/felt like you do when taking the course, there was so much or maybe I had so much, really don’t even remember when it was, do you? but yesterday, once I found it, it seemed really simple, like WordPress designed it for us dummies; it felt so good to see a Follow me button on my blog; it feels real now.