TO BE LIKE JESUS, HUH?

stephen

When we pray to be like Jesus, what do we have in mind?  Most likely it to be a loving person able to heal, feed the hungry, and point the sinner to God the Father.  How about leaving the comfort of home and hitting the road – leaving all you have loved behind.  How about going on the mountain top to pray?  Or how about suffering beatings and being killed for the cause of Christ?

Let’s look at Stephen, the deacon, being like Jesus. While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit. Then he fell on his knees and cried out, ‘Lord, do not hold this sin against them.’ ” (Acts 7:59) I hear of the martyrs of our day. I pray “Lord, be with them as you were with Stephen, let them see your glory, let them see you, Jesus, let them fall asleep with a vision of you and with forgiveness in their hearts.” (Verses 54-57)

And I remember I am also commanded to pray for the enemies. For ISIS? Yes, we do not win by the “might of our horses” but by the Spirit of God. I marvel even more at the amazing grace of Jesus who can make an Apostle Paul out of Saul, the ISIS enemy of his day! (Acts 8:1) “And Saul approved of their killing him (Stephen).” No wonder Paul was full of thanksgiving! God, be merciful to the persecutors as well as the persecuted! And, Lord, reveal your glory to the “Sauls” of this world.

(image from 123rf)

This entry was posted in Christianity, Jesus, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to TO BE LIKE JESUS, HUH?

1. joyroses13 says:

The story about Saul goes to show that no one is beyond redemption, not even ISIS. Good post!

2. Oneta, I think that is the hardest thing we are told, not asked, but told to do—to “love” our enemies—to pray for them even as they are in the midst of some heinous and unspeakable act against us or another—that I may find such grace and strength….

Julie, it does sound like an impossibility, but Jesus would not have said to do it if it were not possible. I will go a step further and say that I believe many and probably even most Christians do love their enemies. If your greatest enemy were lying in need, would you not go help. I think you would. Our thoughts are clouded by fear of our enemies. I don’t know that we are commanded to draw close to our enemies nor do I think we are to love our enemies as we love our family I think we are to love them and pray for them that darkness will be removed from their eyes and their souls will be saved. The ability to forgive our enemies is probably a harder nut to crack. I doubt that you have any enemy that you would want to go to hell. Think it over. (I’d like to tell a story here but it would be too long. Maybe a blog sometime.)

Good post. No one is beyond redemption. Thank God we as believers have God the Holy Spirit with us in us through us so we can pray like King David. ‘Create in me a clean pure heart O God (this day)’. It is God the Spirit who is working to ever remind us of our sins, to deal with them and live for our Lord. Yes indeed only then can we learn to LOVE our enemies and know that redemption is truly for ALL the fallen in this world. Great blog to make us think. Thank you.

Thankful for God’s grace and strive to give as it has been given to me My grace is not very vast but I could extend it more cheerfully. Thinking of telephone callers. 😀

“…but Jesus would not have said to do it if it were not possible”, which is something so easily forgotten, such an act of faith is this! Besides, why would God tell me to do something I’m capable of doing on my own? Where’s the fun in that?

Knowing you can’t do it and doing it with Jesus – how awesome. Makes me think of this blogging thing. Past eighty I learned what a blog was. I’m doing it (with a boost by my Friend). Sure do love the people I am meeting. And another thing I love – when I write something I know is inspired by my Lord. Do you know the song, “Little is Much When God is in It?” Well my much is not much but it is much enough if God says it is enough much. 😀 That’s what I tell myself when I get to checking stats!

5. Salvageable says:

A prayer for our enemies, taken from the hymnal: “Almighty, everlasting God, through your only Son, our blessed Lord, You commanded us to love our enemies, to do good to those who hate us, and to pray for those who persecute us. Therefore, we earnestly implore You that by Your gracious working our enemies may be led to true repentance, may have the same love toward us as we have toward them, and may be of one accord and of one mind and heart with us and with Your whole Church, through Jesus Christ our Lord.” Amen. J.

6. Dawn Marie says:

The love of Christ is as wide as the east is to the west & His mercy knows no bounds! Who are we to judge the journey necessary which leads to Him! And I pray that all RUN into His merciful arms…as soon as YESTERdAY!! Hugs Oneta for reminding us that no one is beyond redemption.