TELL ME THE STORY OF JESUS

nativity
I REMEMBER PRETTY GIRLS PORTRAYING ANGELS DRESSED IN WHITE FLOWING ROBES. Does anyone have a church that still portrays the “Christmas Story” as it is presented in Matthew and Luke? I confess that at about sixty years old, I began to think there wasn’t much new in the story as preached and dramatized every Christmas.

Now, after about many years without it (at least in adult portrayals), I am longing for the Story of the Christ-child again.

A couple of years ago, I remarked to a music minister that the name “Jesus” was making its way back into some “praise and worship” choruses; I was glad. I was told that everything seems to be cyclical.

Well, recycle the Christmas story to me! I well repent of the time I thought it was passé! (I won’t even get bent out of shape if the Magi come to the manger!) “Tell Me the Story of Jesus, write on my heart every word; tell me the story most precious, sweetest that ever was heard. Tell how the angels in chorus, Sang as they welcomed His birth, Glory to God in the highest, Peace and good tidings to earth.” (Fanny Crosby)

This entry was posted in Christmas, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to TELL ME THE STORY OF JESUS

1. atimetoshare.me says:

Amen! This is a story that is much needed today and it’s full of hope and truth for all.

I went to a Toastmaster’s meeting tonight in which a lady was asked to tell of her desire for a gift to all the world She responded with a short talk about the need for love within every individual. How love in oneself made one content. I identified with the host of angels singing about the Babe who would bring peace to all men. It will happen sometime but we are sadly lacking now We do need to be reminding of that truth with each Christmas celebration.

2. Dawn Marie says:

I echo your sentiments Oneta! To take the time in portraying the moment peace came to earth and good will to ALL men was proclaimed would be a breath-taking experience. May you inspire countless communities to take up the challenge!

I’m all in for the Christmas portrayal to be shared throughout the year. Not just in December when church become competitive with who can do it best. I do want it well done as is fitting as an offering to our Lord, but a gentle song from a loving heart can outdo a lot of “professionalism.” Go Tell It On the Mountain!…that Jesus Christ is Born

YEA for Fannie!! And yes, I second your thoughts–even if the Magi show up at the manger in three feet of snow on December 25th!

She was some special saint, huh. Just give me the story. We can study out the details after we have thoroughly ingested the simple story and have it hidden in our hearts so the skeptics can’t shake our foundation when we find out that the date is like wrong. So what?
      it is not the date that is sacred – it is the event.

Bathrobes. Tinsel halos. Cardboard crowns with foil wrapped around them. Sometimes a doll, but sometimes someone’s baby sister! It all was such fun: innocent and receptive. We need a little more of that these days.

How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news! Joseph with his sandals, Mary with her ballet slippers, shepherd in tennies, Magi with fancy house slippers. Make the grins so wide, I won’t look at the shoes. Oh, yes, also give me Mary on the donkey. I guess the donkey’s hooves can be good news bearers also. With a little “sic-um” from you, Linda, I can get really wound up.

Profound and simple is the whole story of Jesus Christ from birth to death on the cross. Yet, the most enduring memories that impact the Christmas story for many of us is the children and the innocence of us all back then. Come as little children says Jesus Christ and perhaps its this child-like innocence and preparedness for ‘possibilities’ which God wants from all human hearts.

6. Salvageable says:

Some years ago I was part of a group in a certain congregation trying to plan a children’s Christmas Eve program (which was going to be mid-month because people were too busy for Jesus on Christmas Eve). The group had several contrary ideas about what to have the children do. One man said, “We should have them sit in the front row and have adults wear costumes and act out the Christmas story for them.” Nothing came of it, but it was a great idea. J.

Yes. I love the kiddies doing it also, but they need to know the story is true for adults. I really think we should offer our best to the Lord even when performing his story, but so many professionals make we “commoners” sit on the sidelines. When he asks, “What is in your hand? I should not be proud to say, “Not much, Lord, but I will do what I can.” That might be the first step toward feeding 5000 who knows. I must admit, however, that I generally want the other guy to go first.