DO FOR THESE LITTLE ONES

poor children

I sat contemplating the Christmas season, wholly lost in thought.  How could such a holy season result in so much greed and grief?  I hated having to buy presents for those who no longer had time for me.  Where had the days gone when little arms entwined my neck?  I longed for their presence.  Could they not come sit a while?  I was sated with giving gifts to those who needed nothing.

My mind flashed to some children I saw yesterday.  By the looks of their holey jackets, mismatched clothing and sole-less shoes, they needed my presents.   Perhaps I could bask in the presence of little ones once more.   Having an attitude change and feeling a bit like the Magi must have felt, I grabbed my purse and set out to do some shopping.

***********************

Challenge to write poetry or prose using homophones: presence and presents; holy, holey, and wholly

This entry was posted in Christmas, Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to DO FOR THESE LITTLE ONES

1. Mukhamani says:

Yes, bringing them joy.

2. Olga says:

Wonderful to share your blessings and bring joy to a child’s heart. ❤

Olga, so sorry to say this was not factual. I was just writing a story. But it did speak a message to me as I hope it does to others.. It is hard to be Scrooge when you is giving to someone in need. I did not intend to be misleading 😀

• Olga says:

All great fiction allows the reader to enter a world of believability. I think using the word “yesterday” brought a sense of reality of it. Enjoyed the read, Oneta. Merry Christmas! 🙂

Thank you, Olga. I tried out a speech the other day by having my grandchildren listen to me. It was a humorous speech. When I got through one of them said, “Grandma, is that the truth.” I had to admit it was not! But I guess I did okay in the make believe world. Glad I’m not a liar. I could get myself in all sorts of trouble! 😀

3. calmkate says:

Well written Oneta, I’m sure you spread the love 😉

4. Michael says:

Good one Oneta, hope the shopping was successful.

5. joyroses13 says:

How lovely of you to help those children! You showed the true meaning of Christmas. Merry Christmas!

joyroses, same answer to you as to those above. So sorry to say this was not factual. I was just writing a story. But it did speak a message to me as I hope it does to others.. It is hard to be Scrooge when you is giving to someone in need. I did not intend to be misleading 😀

6. Beautiful. Your story inspires me. I think, perhaps, now that my son is grown, this might be a great plan moving forward! Love this, Oneta! Great writing response to the challenge as well.

7. Steph McCoy says:

Well done! Merry Christmas Oneta!

8. James says:

So far the grandchildren love seeing us as much as we adore being with them.

That’s good. My grandchildren have been a blessing to me, but they all have families of their own which causes a sore lack of time that we can be together. I do have one granddaughter who lives near enough that I get to share her children’s lives. I love it. But I have other great grandchildren whom I do not see more than a few hours a couple of days a year. I’d like more! Selfish of me? No. They would feel bad if I didn’t want more. Have a great time with your little ones.