‘TWEEN GOD AND ME – Coat

coat

“Ooh, she looks cold,” I thought as I drove past the girl sitting on the bus bench at La Quinta Motel.  “Yes,” I heard in my head, “Go back and give her your coat.”  I kept driving.  The words stuck.  I drove on about four blocks, then turned around.  “Okay, I’ll go back,” I might have sounded grouchy.  Now what?  “Give her your coat.”

What set up this situation I was in?  The morning had gone as usual.  Got ready for work.  Went to the closet, put on my coat for the day.  I chose my best coat.  I liked it because it was a pretty color, sort of champagne, with flared back and furry stuff around the neck and down the front.  Cost more than I generally paid for a coat so I didn’t wear it to work very often.

Off to work I go.  I want to have everything done so I can take a long lunch hour to go practice with a singing group at eleven.  I hurry.  Put on my coat.  Phone rings.  I answer. Lost a bit of time, but out the door I went.  Drove about six blocks then turned the corner at La Quinta.  Saw the girl.  Heard those words above.

Somewhere in the conversation, I say “This is my best coat.”  (Like I’m telling God anything he doesn’t know.)

God didn’t jump in with an alternate plan.  Once was plain enough.  I pulled up behind the bench.  Got out. Walked around in front of her; she wore a flannel shirt.  Her defense against that cold!

I stand in front of her, stick my hands in my pockets, and say,  “It’s cold, isn’t it?”  “Yes,” she replied.  “Waiting for the bus?”  Again, “yes.”  “Going home?”  “Yes.”

Oh, good.  I was going north anyway.  We would pass a Thrift Store up about a mile.  I wouldn’t mind twenty bucks out, drive her home, and save my coat.

I must have looked or pointed north.  “No” she said, “I go south.”  My plan didn’t get me out of God’s plan.

With my hands in my pockets, I flare the coat out, and say, “Would you wear this coat if you had it?”  (Oh, my, this story gets embarrassing.  How long will I dilly-dally.  God is not going to change his instruction.)  “Of course,” she said.  “But it’s cold out here.  What would you wear?”  (I begin to get more pliable for God to work with.)  “Oh, my car is warm, so I’ll be okay.” Finally I capitulate.

“Hold up, what’s this?”  I recognized that I had a silver dollar in my pocket.  Well, how am I going to save that without the girl or God thinking I’m a Scrooge.  No, it’s not worth a dollar.  I leave it there.  Take off my coat.  She puts it on.  I run to the car.

I got in the car; it had warmed nicely by that time.  I mumbled, “God, you set me up.  You knew from the moment I opened that closet door, what you were going to do!”   Tears clouded my eyes, as I drove myself on to the singing…. which had been cancelled.

****************

In my blog  https://onetahayes.com/2018/01/01/buck-up-get-with-it/  I said, “Take risks in Jesus; he is wonderfully exciting. I mostly miss the excitement when I don’t take any chances.”

*******************

It took me a long time to relate this story to anybody.  It certainly doesn’t paint a pretty picture of me, but that is not the reason.  The reason was that I was over-whelmed with a God that would set me up for such a delightful experience.  A hundred dollar coat?  Such things become as nothing compared to an encounter with my Savior.  – And then to cap it off with my begrudging the silver dollar!  Well, all’s well that ends well!

Oh, people, if you do not know God in the very personal way that he wants us to know him, seek his face.  Psalm 27:8  “My heart says of you, “Seek my face.  Your face, Lord, will I seek.”

(That was the end of that story, but I might be back for some lessons or conclusions I have drawn from it.)

This entry was posted in 'Tween God and Me', relationship with God, God speaks, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to ‘TWEEN GOD AND ME – Coat

1. Bravo to you! I understand how difficult and self-sacrificing your gift was and actually, that is what makes it so precious in the eyes of God… the widow’s mite…your favorite coat. Yes, we need to give our best, and your story challenges and inspires me to do so. Thank you, Oneta! I think you both brave and unselfish. You wouldn’t be human had you not questioned a little 😉 Hugs!

2. atimetoshare.me says:

Two great stories in one day. I am twice blessed. Thanks for sharing you inspiration with us.

I love sharing, especially to those who “will hear.” Makes me think of the scriptural adage “Be doers of the word, not hearers only.” Your name “atimetoshare”suggests a “pass it on” life. Be blessed. 😀

3. joyroses13 says:

Wow! You made God smile that day for sure and oh the warmth that you showed to that girl! The warmth of the coat and the warmth of love!!

It was a “wow” encounter. But I don’t deserve the credit for “love for the girl;” I definitely was motivated by love for the Lord rather than love for my fellowman. I have more to say on this. I might get to it for tomorrow. Thank you, dear. And you know, I do think it gave God a laugh for the day. Can’t prove that. But I know that’s what my earthly father would have done.

4. What a beautiful story. Thanks for your faithfulness to the challenge Jesus put in front of you. Your testimony of faithfulness is very moving. May I learn to hear God like you do. What a blessing.

Be blessed. God is with you mighty woman of God.

Thank you very much. I accept your blessings. Michael, I started writing some “God Speaks” blogs then began the ‘Tween God and Me stories. You might want to look up some of them if you have time. You would just put those titles in my search line. I have lived a long life, so I have had occasion for many blessings similar to this. You will notice I have recorded the times I obeyed; the times I failed are not very inspiring. But really after learning to recognize his voice, I generally obey. The reward is so enticing; I generally want to know how he will play this hand, so I go for it, 😀

5. No Oneta, it doesn’t make you sound or look bad–it makes me look bad cause I probably would have driven on spending the rest of the day rationalizing to myself why I’d kept driving and still had the coat…
    There is conviction there and much for me to ponder…..

It is amazing how much God can make his child hate the thing that comes between that child and himself. Sinners can do it, with hardness of heart; but his kids generally crumble when they realize how much they have disappointed their Father. See there, a serious answer. I remember a song we used to sing “Nothing between my soul and my savior…..keep the way clear there’s nothing between.” I’ve forgotten more of it. My sister will remember probably. I’ll ask. (or google)

6. Reblogged this on Quotes, thoughts and musings and commented:
    Great lesson on obedience from Oneta Hayes. May I be as faithful as she is in hear God’s voice on giving to the homeless and those in need.

7. Ahh, sweet story. 🙂

8. calmkate says:

good to be confronted with our attachment issues, well done you 🙂

What a great life story. I’m so pleased that I’m not alone in the dilly dallying way when I know its the voice of God that I still argue. Once I heard ‘Go into town!’ The time I spend arguing was such a wasted experience. Thank God I finally obeyed. The friend who prayed that day I would come into town only lived a short time yet God granted us a farewell meeting. What a struggle when it is over ‘stuff’. What a valuable and precious blog. Thank You.

It is wonderful. I’ve disobeyed and lost blessings; I’ve even been deceived but I’d rather be wrong than disobedient; but the hearing and obeying is glorious. I can see how happy you must be for your “go into town” obedience. 😀

10. Dawn Marie says:

The dilly-dally of the experience is where God is tenderly waiting. Much as in the garden with Eve. Waiting for us to simply trust in Him. My hugs and blessing for you are filled with great admiration…as you continue with the beautiful choice of listening to His daily will for you.

11. judyjourneys says:

God has His intimate moments with us. Some we can share (as you have done), and some we (as you probably also know) will always be only between God and me.