DADDY’S BOOTS

cowboy boots

Whatever happened to daddy’s boots?

Flannel shirts and Levis, or Western suits.

Justin boots and Stetson hats were the apparel

of my family roots.

They were given to my mom

From the hospital that long night.

Love and memories were like a balm

As she tenderly put them out of sight.

They were passed along to me,

I had two sons, could one be –

The one who carried his legacy?

The legacy came from Granddad Jim

He said for us to look past him.

And know our worth only comes from God.

Look up to Him because people are flawed.

******************

Prompt:  “boots”  99 words

butismileanyway.com/2018/01/19/january-11-flash-fiction-boots/

Image from Pixabay

This entry was posted in family, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to DADDY’S BOOTS

1. pranabaxom says:

” Look up to Him because people are flawed” – sometimes I wonder if we created the one above in our image .

pranabaxom, do you think people are more intelligent or more creative now than thousands of years ago? I don’t, so I don’t think man started this “life” at all. Look where you want, you have to start with something. I start with God. Place my eternity in the hope of Jesus making me acceptable to God. But God certainly doesn’t object to our questions, our curiosity, or our doubts. He invites us to “come reason” with him. Isaiah 1:18 Thanks for leaving a comment. By the way, I, too, have questions. I don’t understand God’s turning the earth over to flawed man. We sure do mess up! 😀

• pranabaxom says:

I respect your rights to your belief but I also believe that there is no one path to reach one’s destiny.

😀 Just curious. Does any of those paths not lead to God? Whether or not, let’s continue our blog journey together. I have lots of fun but I do have serious stuff also. I haven’t read yours enough to know just what kind of blogging you do. I enjoy almost anything if it is not too “wordy.” I don’t read long blogs very much. I guess my studious days are waning! 😀

What wonderful words of legacy.(in boots story). Thank you. Only ONE SAVIOUR in my legacy. All people without prejudice – every tribe, every tongue. (male, female, welcome. In Him essence of all humanity) .I too love and respect the blogging journeys of ALL.

3. What a great memory. And boots, no less. (I’m from Texas).

Great poem. Be blessed.

4. Booky Glover says:

“Look up to Him for people are flawed.”

I liked this line. Thanks for sharing and reaching out to me on Facebook. God bless you Oneta!

5. calensariel says:

Very tender. I have my dad’s wallet and the bronze New Testament he carried into the war with him. 🙂

6. Charli Mills says:

I’m so glad you jumped in Oneta! I loved your verse and both the story and values it conveys. I also find your author bio to be one of the most compelling I’ve read, Yes, I’ve drawn up close to the screen now and want more of your stories, Grandma Blogger.

Why, Child, you are so welcome to join my family. I ask one thing of you; please remind me in a few days that you are there. The eye situation has me limited to only responding to comments. Generally I would follow your tracks right back to your blog but can’t do it right now. Remind me that you are there if I lose you. And thanks for the kind words. I’d love to know you better. 😀

7. Pingback: Walking Boots « Carrot Ranch Literary Community