I’m having another birthday soon.  So being nostalgic.

Wearing sack dresses and platform shoes

Reading Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew

Feeling bittersweet.

Singing “How Much is That Doggie in the Window”

Seeing Lassie fight bears and leave them in limbo.

Feeling bittersweet.

Newspaper Headlines tout success

“Man on Moon” – nearly weightless!

Feeling bittersweet.

Watching comedy that was witty

Walking barefoot and feeling pretty

Feeling bittersweet.

Family-safe TV without vulgarity

And man’s word was a guarantee

Feeling bittersweet.

Playing games and being a winner

Having fried chicken for Sunday dinner

Feeling bittersweet.

So much living has gone by

I’ve loved and been loved,

But with a sigh,

I’m feeling bittersweet.

This entry was posted in aging, memories, nostalgia, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

1. Alexis Rose says:

I’m glad I’m able to write, Happy Birthday Soon to you!! 🙂

2. Beautiful. I love it!

Blessings! May our Lord Jesus the Messiah himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your heart and strengthen you in every good deed and word.

That was my world, too — except for the platform shoes. I saw them on others, but never dared them myself. I knew I was too clumsy to wear them, and doing so could only lead to bad things.

Happy birthday, soon! I hope it’s a good one: all sweet, and no bitter at all.

I didn’t wear sack dresses. My mother made my dresses – mostly fitted tops and gathered skirts. My cousin always visited from the city (Denver) in the summer. I remember her bringing her new sack dresses. I thought they were ….not sure of the word, maybe lazy. Definitely easily made and easily ironed. The kind I would choose now if my body structure would let me! Birthday is Wednesday I think. I have cataract surgery on Tuesday; hope for a delightful “better sight” gift for my birthday.

• shoreacres says:

Oh, hooray! What a wonderful birthday gift — that surgery. Every day I’m grateful for how wonderfully it changed my life. I think it will have been three years this June since I had the surgery, and there hasn’t been one single problem. Best wishes to you — I know it will go fine.

Thank you for the encouragement. I can’t seen to drop this last bit of “what if.” My husband has had both eyes done; of course, the age of my peers means I know a lot of success stories. But I heard about one that….. You know that does not fit with my faith and trust in Jesus (as well as science).

4. This is wonderful poetry! Happy Birthday!

I too love Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys. I was really blessed to get my hands on some original Nancy Drew’s before we made them kind of trite and politically correct. Definitely made me feel nostalgic and bittersweet, longing for another place and time. 🙂

Thank you, IB. Cataract surgery Tuesday; hoping it will be a wonderful birthday gift for me since my birthday will be the next day – Wednesday the 24th. I really are especially drawn to being “new” again when these bittersweet moments come.

5. Beautiful thoughts, Oneta… I think we all feel this way at times. Happy Birthday, my friend! ❤

6. calmkate says:

beautiful memories and Happy Birthday … nothing bitter about you my sweet 🙂

7. SarahC says:

we wish you a happy birthday! find some chocolate 🙂

8. I think you mentioned the 24th??? Yes, indeed a most pre happy birthday!!!!
    How blessed I am that you are having a birthday!! Presents for you but a dear present for me!!!!

Happy Birthday. How beautiful if bitter-sweet is your post. Many, many memories I too can relate. 24th Jan. Happy, Happy Birthday, indeed. A greeting of love and prayers across the miles..

10. Alana Lima says: