THROUGH THE EYES OF A CHILD

eyes

“When will I have to stop going to church?” asked the little boy.
“What?” I responded, not believing I could have heard right.
“When will I have to stop going to church?” he repeated.
Noticing my bewilderment, he clarified, “When I get bigger, when will I have to stop going to church?”

This a not a child in a country whose government is about to close up Christian churches, nor is he a child with a debilitating disease which will stop his leaving his home. He is not a child whose parents are poverty stricken, drugged, uneducated, or untrustworthy. No, he is a healthy child of Christian parents who are comfortably well off and who love him dearly, who would do anything for him including working endless hours, sometimes even seven days a week.

I guess he believes it when the adults in his life say, “I can’t go to church because I have too much to do.”

Luke 21:34 And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with…cares of this life,….

This entry was posted in Christianity, church, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to THROUGH THE EYES OF A CHILD

Isn’t it true that they see reality far more clearly than adults do, sometimes? As I like to say (probably ad nauseum) all of us have all the time there is. Our responsibility is figuring out how to use it.

So true. Now that I have more flexible time than ever before, I find that I squander a lot of it. Generally chasing rabbits, interesting tidbits but not vital compared to clearing my desk as I have been promising myself that I am “going to do today,” no, that was yesterday, and the day before…

• dawnlizjones says:

Bob and I retire in a few months (end of the school year) and I run the risk of saving tasks for “when I retire”. But some things need to not be put off! Important things, like relationships. (My desk, however, is on the retirement list…)

Don’t give me any encouragement about the desk! Added to it today with next goal to prepare for next Sun. Teaching Malachi. I’ve been a long time on the minor prophets, but found a lot of good stuff there. I did go through some Bible study stuff and weeded out what I know I will never use. Kept my units on Gen, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Duet., Psalms, Ezek, Isaiah and the 12 minor prophets. I need to do them again myself. Jog my memory.

2. Hmmmn… Thought provoking. We have got to show our children that church is not a convenient or inconvenient trip but a place we love to go to because we love God.

It is also a vital choice for keeping our children with “like-minded” people with whom we would like them to associate. The church was so important to the values and interests of my sons. Generally it is true that “birds of a feather flock together.” And it is the God-ordained place for spiritual training second only to the family.

3. joyroses13 says:

Wow! That is poignant!

Yes you go to Church ie a building because you love the Lord and hunger for fellowship with His People. We however, the believers, are the Church…..not any building or denomination and gradually as the people have come to realize this they are confident to KNOW the God who lives with and in them will never led them go. Loving Him as adults will determine our prayer life and our Church (building) going. Our children ,natural) thank God, are finally getting to realize this. Love of God is why we fellowship, why we worship, why we pray etc etc.

Children associate the word church with the building where they gather to learn about Jesus and find friends. You are, of course, right about the “church” being believers. But that is not the most common application of the word, church. And that is not the group Jesus spoke about in Revelations when he left messages for the seven churches, neither is it the meaning of the churches Paul visited. Thanks for extended thoughts. 😀

5. Roos Ruse says:

We are fortunate that I worked for our church when my guys were in Jr. Hi & High School. We frequently talked about relationship with God vs church attendence and tradition. Great post, Oneta.

6. Hmmm. This speaks to me in a profound manner. Now and again, we’ve treated Church as something to do when it’s convenient. Simple yet very insightful post.

Thank you, Jacque. Most children have soft, tender, and accepting hearts to hearing the story of Jesus. Is it very important that they find they are loved by the “Highest” authority. I think it contributes to their respect and appreciation for all authority, which is very important for law abiding citizens, who can find more peace with themselves and with the world.