TRY SALTY TALK

“Salty talk” is not descriptive of cultured language.  In fact it borders on indelicacy or impropriety – sometimes it is indecent.  Why am I discussing salty talk?  Because of Matthew 5:13 where Jesus tells his followers, “You are the salt of the world.’

Let me present three things he might have had in mind.

1.  Salt is a seasoning.  I dare say the highest criticism of food in hospitals and rest homes is that there is no salt in the food.  I concur.  In my house you might hear something like this:

“Hand me the salt shaker.”

“Sammy, I salted the potatoes already.”

As Sammy takes the shaker, I repeat, “I put salt in the potatoes.”

As he adds salt, I say, “You should taste those before you add salt.”

Then I quietly get a second shaker and add salt on my own. 😀

Yes, we like our salt.  Vinegar and salt potato chips.   Um, um, good.  Um, um, good. That’s what vinegar and salt potato chips are. Um, um, good.

1. Salt is a healing agent.  It might not be known as such anymore.  But in my background, it was good for everything that needed an antiseptic.  Canker sores, sore throat, bleeding gums, skinned knees – that was not, um, um, good!  But it did speed the healing process.
  1. Salt is a preservative.  Pig butchering day!  What a day!  Aunts and uncles came to help.  Meat was everywhere!  Render the fat.  Cook the ribs.  Put the cooked meat in big cans and pour on the fat.  Fry the tenderloins for supper.   But the ham and bacon didn’t have to be cooked that day.  It was salted, and stored in the storehouse.  Then we had fresh meat all winter, that is, if you can call salted meat fresh, anyway it was preserved.

So, with those bits of information, how might the “salt of the world” – you and I – talk some “salty talk”.

First, be seasoning. When people used to ask my father-in-law, How are you?  He replied, “I’m saved, thank you.”  That probably added a spice to some folks.  Would you acknowledge that you are sometimes a grouch. Try a little salty talk  “Give the world some salt each day.  Help to brighten someone’s way.”  Add zest to the mundane!

Second, try salty talk for healing.  The Bible says that life and death is in the power of the tongue.  Have you seen the commercial where dad is under the sink working on the pipes, and the little boy comes and asks if he can help.  Dad says, “No buddy, this is man’s work.”  A dejected little boy walks away.  I almost cry.  Then dad says, “Hey, buddy, could you come hold the flashlight for me.”  I want to jump with joy over dad’s good sense.  What a healing tongue for that child.  A little guy was reading the song book at church.  I complimented him a bit, but later I realized what a golden opportunity I had lost in not making a big deal – a mountain of salt – that would have spiced that little guy’s life for some time.  Maybe it would have made a difference in his whole school outlook.

What might “salty talk” do to preserve?  In the form of pickets and editorials, it might help preserve our Judeo-Christian values.  In the form of “I Love Yous” it might preserve our families.  In the form of prayer, it might preserve our nation.  In the form of “Thanks for a job well done,” it might sustain employment for someone.  When Brad or Betty in Walmart’s garden center load eight bags of gravel for you, sweat rolling, call Wal-Mart and tell them what a good service they rendered.  Brad or Betty and some supervisor will have a lift for the day.

So what did Jesus mean when he said we are salt.  I’m sure he did not have in mind Lot’s wife who turned to a pillar of stone – a stone statue standing still, silent and impotent amidst a multitude of people who need zest, healing, and preservation.

No, I’m sure he meant for us to “spread a little salt around.”

******************

image from pixabay

This entry was posted in Christianity, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to TRY SALTY TALK

1. Roos Ruse says:

My mother and I went around and around on this very subject a few times, lol. Thank you for starting the good flashbacks, Oneta.

So, do you use the salt, or does she? 😀

• Roos Ruse says:

I’m a moderate user and don’t usually put salt on the table. Mother complicated all 8 pregnancies defying her doctor and oversalted everything! I remember her once saying she’d die without salt. And she meant it! My siblings and I are all blessed her indulgence didn’t hurt us. ❤

2. Amen! What a sweet post.

In biblical times salt was often used on babies,to help heal their umbilical cords, but also to claim their parentage, to establish they had a father. To be salted made you member of the tribe, the family. Later they started baptizing babies in beer, something that became such a problem, the Catholic church had to mandate people use water. All this trivia makes me laugh. There’s nothing quite like salting your newborn and then dumping beer on his head. 🙂

I do remember having read something about this, but I didn’t think of it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. If I use this subject for a speech or something, I do a little research. Salt and beer does sound like quite a celebration to let that baby know he is now a member of the family! I’m guessing he expresses his displeasure at that “blessed” occasion.

3. judyjourneys says:

I enjoyed this post very much, Oneta. I can remember my father gargling with salt in a glass of water for a sore throat. Later I read about adding baking soda. (My father may have used that; I just don’t recall.) Whenever I have a sore throat, I gargle with 1 teaspoon of salt and a half teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water. Oh, and right before that a dip a Q-tip in it and swap my nostrils. It opens up the airways.

This is a powerful post and I thank you for it. It brings back memories of the past for all the wonderful uses of salt I have known. There is such Spiritual Power in what you have written. I love the reminder of one of your ancestors said.in response to the question “How are you?’ His response ‘I’m saved! Thank you.’. This is the real SALT this world needs today. If we truly are redeemed by the blood of the Lamb. If we are saved by Him and live by His Grace, then indeed salty, TRUTHS (may be politically inedible) but certainly are the savour of Heaven,. and with eternity seasoning, MUST be spoken. Thank you dear one for this challenging and thoughtful post.

5. What great ideas Oneta!! And yes….I do love my salt on my food also…probably too much.

Thanks for chiming in with all of us salt lovers. And it really is interesting to go out and find someone who needs a little salt in their lives. I don’t leave home much anymore. Love the blogging but it is not as adventurous as finding new people in person! Good night, Faye.

In Russia and other countries, bread and salt are offered to guests, and incorporated into special ceremonies, like weddings. Here’s one nice article. What’s neat is that the bread is baked in such a way that there’s a hole in the top that’s filled with salt, and a piece of bread is dipped in it.

My dentist still recommends rinsing with salt water. As for food, I’ve pretty much weaned myself away from salty snacks and foods, and never add salt to dishes at the table. However: there’s nothing like a little salt on cantaloupe or watermelon, and a hard-boiled egg requires it, unless the eggs are deviled. In that case, the pickle juice will do.

i had no idea of this tradition. “Hospitality”would fit fine as a fourth reason for Jesus’ words. The picture of the bread makes me think I could not equal the offer to my guests!