LAST WORDS

music

“Debbie, the phone’s for you,” I called at 10:45 last Wednesday morning.  Those were my last words to her.  I could hear her excited voice, then she called back to me, “Mom, I’m going out.  I’ll be back by two o’clock.”  Those were her last words to me.

Whom did she meet?  Where?  Why?  Unanswered questions.  She had recently made new friends via the music scene.  She had hinted that she met a man who was interested in buying some of her songs.  Is that the reason she is gone?

Is she dead?  Is she alive?  Will I ever know?

************

image from Rochelle’s blog

This entry was posted in Rochelle's picture prompt, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to LAST WORDS

1. Iain Kelly says:

A horrible situation to be in.

2. StuHN says:

Plan to continue this?

No plans. I don’t write complex kinds of stuff. Generally I do have happy endings. But this time the picture just seemed to call out to me, “Owner left,” so that’s what I went for.

3. jillyfunnell says:

Interesting take on the picture. I hope she comes home and her mother hears her sing her songs again.

4. joyroses13 says:

Oh the suspense! I hope she is alive. 🙂

5. Yinglan says:

Chilling tale, Oneta. And the suspense! Now I know how others feel when I leave them hanging.

6. calmkate says:

you have real talent, please keep these stories coming 🙂

7. Dale says:

It’s the not knowing that is the killer… IT better be because she can’t reach her and not because she won’t…

This shocked me at first. I did not realize it was fiction. I am used to your truth in reality postings. Was this a picture prompt for a writing exercise? Gripping beginning. Wow!

Just fiction as most of my writing is when I respond to prompts. Maybe I should put the prompt up front as some do. But it detracts from the storyline. I do try to have a lesson or “take-away” in most even if it is fiction.

9. Dear Oneta,

On tough place to be in. Nicely done.

Shalom,

Rochelle

10. Alice Audrey says:

This hist closer to home. Today some young women came by with a flier, looking for a friend of theirs who went missing in my neighborhood.

11. She doesn’t know, we don’t know nor you I guess. It’s easy to think the worst.

Click to read my FriFic tale

12. The horror of never knowing what has happened to your child must be harrowing. I hope I never have to go through it.

13. Liz Young says:

That’s awful, not knowing.

14. granonine says:

Every parent’s worst nightmare. Well written.

15. calensariel says:

My gosh! You’re on a toot here lately! What’s up with the way different posts?

I’ve been working on hard stuff. Just needed a breather. I love the challenges. They keep me refreshed. They also demand lots more reading because I like to see the “take” from other people. My theme hasn’t changed; I still hope to be a “sweet aroma” to the Lord. But maybe he needs a breather sometimes too. 😀

16. lisarey1990 says:

Very sad. There’s a great mystery to this piece which is intriguing too.