TAKE YOUR TEMPLE TO THE TEMPLE

church

Oh how the weeks do roll! It is Sunday again. It’s got me thinking how rarely if ever, I have dreaded going to church.

Some people give the excuse that “the reason I don’t go to church is because my folks made me go.” I have this response for that: “Your rebellion must have started before they made you; otherwise, they would not have had to make you.” One person even acknowledged that there was some basis of truth to that!

Being thankful for lovely friends, good churches, knowledgeable pastors, beautiful singing, and the joy and anticipation of meeting Jesus in his special house with people who welcome him into their own special houses.

How blessed we are to be able to “house” the spirit of God.  Grace beyond measure.  Know ye not, ye are the temple? Take your temple to the temple! Love you, dear people in whatever state you are in.  Saint or sinner, God loves you.  The marvel of it all!

This entry was posted in Christianity, church, God, salvation, temple, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to TAKE YOUR TEMPLE TO THE TEMPLE

1. Church is my favorite thing! I believe that if some people don’t enjoy going to church, maybe they are in the wrong church. 😀

There are so many different sizes, styles, rituals, programs, locations it looks like someplace would feel like home someplace. I like there to be some evidence that Jesus is the reason for the church’s existence. That’s rather hard in far too many church buildings. I like to see his name in the bulletin, church motto, goals, literature, songs or sermons. I went on a Jesus Quest one summer and was surprised at how many churches one could walk through and never see anything that represented him. But you are right, if one is not happy, try going on down the street to the next one

2. Beautiful! Take you temple to the temple, love it. 🙂

I think some people fear church is going to be like sitting in school or attending a committee meeting or something. They don’t realize there are all kinds of churches, most of them focused on rest for your soul, inspiration, encouragement, praise,worship, all good stuff!

There sure is a wide range of choices to choose from. Almost all have something to offer. Best place to find others who have your same values. There sure are a lot I would like to belong to but I like “deep” involvement in church so that doesn’t allow for much visiting. As I mentioned to Linda Lee above, I am concerned about the “church” becoming more like a good time club providing much for our earthly good, rather than being a place that centers on the gospel of Jesus and eternity. But most all of them offer something good.

I was so surprised to notice Linda Lee as your first commenter. That’s my name, too — spelled exactly the same. I’ll say this — with a last name of Leinen, it makes for a heck of a monogram!

You’re right about the variety of faith communities, too. There is something for everyone. My “perfect” congregation is in Houston, unfortunately — that’s too far to drive, But there can be value in joining with a congregation that requires some effort to fit in, too. In fact, that’s probably the best sort of congregation to join. Annie Dillard writes about that experience in her book Holy The Firm — being by inclination a liturgical sort, but finding herself in a non-denominational country church with garden bouquets and a linoleum floor. It’s an interesting read.

The title of the book sounds odd to me. There must be meanings I am not acquainted with .Your statement regarding “value in joining with a congregation that requires dome effort to fit in” is a worthy thought. Not one found in my readings on church growth. But I can see value in a person feeling more permanent if she puts a little effort into belonging. And, you should know Linda Lee. She is an active blogger and often contributes comments on my posts. You know I love that. I didn’t find you this week. I haven’t checked tonight; maybe you are there. I’ll go check.

People are the church. It’s not about the building but making the commitment to meet with fellow believers strengthens our faith and nurtures our souls. If we have found this place of nurture within our own ‘denomination’ ie place of preferred worship, God always blesses us in our faithfulness. However, when the time comes that perhaps we can no longer ‘go’ there, He is ever with us and His Presence inside our own temple is our greatest Gift from Him,and He will be with us wherever we take the time to look to Him. Communicate with Him. Love Him. Read the Word and spiritually ‘connect; with all His Children. Thank you for the reminder ….Oneta of His Grace.

The word “church” as many other words has more than one definition. When I talk about going to “church” I’m talking about going to a particular place of worship. If I say that Jesus is returning soon to take his church, I am talking about the people. “Being thankful for good churches” was intended to mean being thankful for congregations who generally meet in a building at least in my country. It could not mean “people” in that context.