TWO HOBBIES

doilies

Someone on Facebook deserves credit for passing along this gem:  “I’m convinced that buying craft material and actually making crafts are two different hobbies.”

My mother actually used her craft materials!  Crocheting, painting, sewing, writing.  She kept few “just in case I need them” items; lots of finished projects.

**************

Image:  Actual example of my mom’s finished doilies.  You see she even starched and shaped them!

Submitted in response to Misky’s #85 twiglet: “unlike my mother”  I’m sure you would enjoy Misky’s prompts and she would be glad to have you join in.

This entry was posted in Mother's Day, twiglets, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to TWO HOBBIES

1. I had to laugh about those two hobbies Oneta….I think you may be on to something with that one!

When I decided I would never use those fabric paints, I kept them anyway waiting for the great granddaughters to get big enough. Now I think it is wise that I go check and see if they have dried up. I bought new ones for the girls. 😀

2. Jules says:

I have many unfinished things. I gift many finished products – but I have kept a few too 🙂

I don’t have enough confidence in myself to give handmade gifts. I’m afraid they are not good enough. But I am very thankful for gifts I receive; they involve many memories and love. Thanks for the comment, Jules.

3. much truth in that little observation…I fear I could have been guilty of such from time to time

4. Misky says:

And very pretty they are, too!

Yes they are. But I don’t starch and shape so well. We siblings kept quite a few of the doilies, but I’m sorry to say many were sold at auction. Some thrift store owner got a bargain.

5. Dawn Marie says:

This made me giggle…and your Mother’s doilies made my heart swoon! A beautiful talent she possessed. Thank you for sharing!! 😘

She was very good. I think I do not exaggerate when I say we found a stack about 15 inches high in a closet after she passed. As I said above, we let too many of them be sold at auction. I’d like them back!

• Dawn Marie says:

Im so glad you have a picture or two of them; but of course they will forever remain in your heart! Your post was a truly beautiful depiction of the joy stitched within them! HugS!

What memories those doilies gave me. Such truth in your blog. I am guilty of collecting lots of craft items. I struggle to use them but the intention always is to make beautiful things. I don’t think the next generation have time for handmade birthday cards etc but that is what I still do and love doing to make ‘personal’. E-mail and I-pads and pods have certainly ruined what was once such a loving connection to family. Letters and beautiful cards etc. I still have many of my mum’s doilies today but sadly they are rarely used. Simplicity is now more the focus particularly when we have Summer head and everything gets so ‘droopy’

You are right. Lack of personal bonding in families especially among generations has led to so much disconnect for young people and they don’t know what the missing. They just know they are missing something and try hard to fill the void with merchandise. Of course, beyond family and with family one can only really fill the void except with Jesus. Thanks for the comment.