STUMBLING BLOCKS

stumbling blocks

How many times have I prayed for something that is not God’s plan? My prayers turn to stumbling blocks to God’s plans.

I desperately want an easy life for the people I love. I want security for the old people and pure and holy adventure for the youth. I want power for my country. I want freedom of pain for the hurting. I want saints to go home on the wings of peaceful sleep. I want good-paying, fulfilling jobs for all men and women who are willing to work hard. I want those who won’t work to realize they are wasting God-given lives and to get off their haunches and find jobs. I want the southern border closed.

Praying my will may hinder the Lord in guiding my loved ones into his plan as I continue to enable them. Praying my will might hold back the death angel while my loved one lies in pain awaiting her homecoming. Praying my will may stop the gospel being spread into the lives of those who do not know Christ. Praying my will may not bring discipline into my life that would be healthy for me. Praying my will might result in people living “soft lives” and be totally unarmed when the devil assaults them with fiery darts.

I’m reminded that God says, “(You) do not know the thoughts of the Lord, (you) do not understand my plan” (Micah 4:12). I find myself much like Peter who rejected the idea of Jesus going willingly to his death. Matthew 16:23 “Get behind me, Satan. You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men…” If Peter had had his way, neither he nor I could have been redeemed.

This entry was posted in God's purpose or will, prayer, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to STUMBLING BLOCKS

1. This is beautiful wisdom, Oneta. It takes some real awareness to reach the point where you can finally accept that God’s will is better than our own, God’s ways are better than our ways. He knows just what we need. But I don’t think He minds our happy prayers, our well wishes for others. He knows our hearts. 🙂

One can never overdo the “happy prayers.” I throw them in as just talking to Him. Have I ever prayed about a pet? You bet. I’m sure God likes “chatting” on occasion. In fact I think God wants all that stuff I listed. (I can’t prove the southern border one but he certainly set borders himself so I think it is right.) I just have to accept his way of doing what I ask OR take “no” for an answer. His way OVER my way when his way is not my way!

2. mandibelle16 says:

I liked this one Oneta. It’s, in a way, sad but true. Often what we desire isn’t what God would on this world. Your example about praying for a sick/dying one to live hit home. Sometimes we pray for further pain for them or suffering, and when you think about it that way, that’s not right. I also think sometimes we pray things for ourselves or others, and even though we maybe Earnest at the time, the result we wish for could later be harmful. There’s a country song, I think Garth Brooks sings it: “Somtimes I thank God for UnAnswered Prayers.” I think it suits what you say well. Always love your posts. Have a nice weekend too. 💕🙏🏻

God see the big picture and we should be mindful that he does so; with that as a given we can “make suggestions” but be open to his overriding our plans and keep confidence in Him to do the right thing. Thanks for your comment. Sounds like a song I would enjoy. I’ll try to find it.

3. Salvageable says:

Jesus taught us to pray the words “Thy will be done.” Often we make the mistake of saying to God “My will be done.” That said, though, God delights to hear all our prayers, even the ones to which he must respond, “No; have this instead.” J.

God the Holy Spirit IS The Spirit of Wisdom. Allowing Him to guide our prayers aligns us with the will of God. But….our humanity always directs us to pray our own way. We all must live and learn and continue to pray.

5. Dawn Marie says:

Let my prayer be counted as incense before You…. Hugs!🤗

6. Sometimes I wish I knew God’s perfect will for my life so I wouldn’t get so disappointed when my plans don’t work out…but I think God keeps it mostly a secret so that we will continually turn and lean on Him. Thanks for sharing!

I believe you are right. God wants our trust. Depending on him should never be a last resort. I enjoyed my visit to your blog. I’ll be with you along the way.