THIN LAYER OF BRAVADO!

tents

Our traditional Kidz Kamp was marked by tent colors: blue for boys, red for girls.  Mine, as Counselor, was yellow.  I said it meant “courageous” and the young children believed me.  Bigger kids would catch on right away.    It stands for “coward.”

That was not always so.  “Just give me a flashlight and let me at ‘um,” was my motto.  I was an owl-chasing specialist.  Until the “spider” incident.  I screamed.  The kids came running to offer their help.  Betsy stepped on the spider – barefooted.

Those kids have grown; the story is dead.  But it sticks with me.  Coward.

******************

Instructions from Carrot Ranch. Join the fun.

This entry was posted in carrot ranch, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to THIN LAYER OF BRAVADO!

Darned good thing it was a spider and not a scorpion. There’s a reason campers, hunters, and general recreationalists around here are advised, “Shake out your boots before you put them on!”

2. Hmmmmm…..I will not judge you a coward. I really really do not like spiders!

Wow! Kids are so naturally courageous, I do not like spiders but still hope to ‘rescue’ when I can but that’s when I know I am a coward, I simply can’t get too close.

Faye, this story is fiction; however, I do believe kids are normally not afraid of bugs and spiders. My serious stuff is always the truth as I know it, but I do a lot of this short fiction stuff. If I can include a moral I do, but this was purely tale spinning. 😀

4. calensariel says:

😀 Loved this story. Camp counselors can be so important in the lives of kids. I had one at church camp who finally taught me how to tame my curly, frizzy hair! Her name was Cha-Cha! 😀

5. calmkate says:

lol some real fun!

6. Spiders are squashable, certain other things are not, she should count her blessings 🙂

7. Charli Mills says:

Wonderful story, Oneta! You introduce the colors, dive into the meanings and complete the tale and evidence. Great writing!

8. Pingback: Yellow Tents « Carrot Ranch Literary Community