THE EAGER TALE-SPINNER

bench

I’m sitting on a lawn chair about a hundred feet behind this scene.  My goal is to plot a short story with this as the setting.  What might I write?

1.  I see a couple walking to the bench.  They sit.  Then I see the young man kneel before the girl.

2. A jogger and his dog are running toward the bench.  The dog stops, barks, and turns to run back.  Why?

3. An angry crow flies in circles low to the ground below the tree branches.  Looking closely I see a fledgling crow on the ground.  There is a snake slithering toward it.

4. It is said that the ghost of a man who drowned spends time sitting at the edge of the water.  I can’t see it, but listen.  What do I hear?

Which tale shall I spin?  Must be short but with a plot.  A story that I can end in 150 words, that’s all I’ve got!

*****************

Image: by wildverbs

Required:  Write story regarding the picture prompt, 100-150 (+ or – 25 words)  This story has 159 words.

This entry was posted in flash fiction for aspiring writers, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to THE EAGER TALE-SPINNER

1. LOL! Any of those scenarios would make a great story! Welcome to the FFfAW challenge!

2. Olga says:

The second and last one may be connected. A ghostly encounter. 🙂

3. pranabaxom says:

All four together. Will make a very sweet 150 word story.

Here is a try: As Harry kneeled before her to propose, her eyes strayed to the edge of the water searching for the ghost of her father who took his life in these waters a few years back. Suddenly the quiet was disturbed by the sudden barking of a dog running back to his master and the incessant
    cry of a crow circling over her fledgling on the ground and then Megan noticed the snake slithering towards the fledgling. With a nod to the ghost of her father, she looked at Harry’s eyes, said “yes” and gently took his hand and walked away without disturbing nature.

WhooWoooo! Great, prnabaxom. I bow to my superior. That didn’t cross my mind. Thanks for your response. 😀

• pranabaxom says:

LOL!
        Writing short story is not my strength. In fact, I have only posted one short story till now on my blog. But I am an engineer by profession and I think building something comes naturally to me. So when you provided the skeleton, it was easy to add stucco and provide roof on the house.
        BTW, my name is Pranab. I am originally from the State of Assam ( pronounced AXOM in my mother tongue Assamese or Axomiya) in India. That’s where the “axom” comes from.

4. pranabaxom says:

I still have fifty more words to add.

100-150 with + – 25 allowed. So you are in. However, to would love to see your next 50. Maybe a line to describe how happy I am to see my daughter’s happiness. You know I get to watch the scene. 😀

• pranabaxom says:

And here I was dreading the punishment for trespassing. So here are the additional words to complete the story.

As my beautiful daughter walked away with her fiance, blissfully unaware of her mother’s spying eyes, I walked over to the bench, caressed it lovingly as my eyes were welling up and blew a kiss towards the water. I am sure the ghost of my dear departed husband would be happy today.

5. calmkate says:

Love them all but I’d go with Olga’s suggestion!

6. yarnspinnerr says:

I came for one and got to read four ultra-short stories. Great write.

7. michael1148humphris says:

For me the snake had overall control, so many stories came from him!

I don’t like snakes so I would have a hard time treating them with sympathy. You sound like you could make a snake “hero.” No me. I’d have them eating eggs that have little chickens in them or something likewise disgusting. 😀

What an interesting challenge. Reminds me of story prompt days I used to attend in our Library. I guess there is nothing to stop me still using similar in my writing today. It makes us ever ‘thinking’. Thank You.