THE THREES

bench 2

This is the day of the threes.  Three years since Howard passed on and  three weeks since the doctor said I have about three months before joining him.  So I come to this bench where I sit for about three hours coming to grips with thoughts of a new world.  Stretched out before me is a lake with houses on the other side.  I sit reading and thinking.

I’ve found hope in Psalm 3:5 “I lie down and sleep, I wake again because the Lord sustains me.”  I look at the beauty of the grass and lake; I see people on the other side.  In the near future,  I will lie down and sleep, I will awake again to the beauty around me, and to a reunion of people on the other side.

I wonder if Howard has found Tommy.  Oh, I remember other threes!  Tommy died from having three-day measles when he was three years old.

It will be nice to be a threesome again – Howard, Tommy, and me.

***************

image: unsplash

This entry was posted in death, eternal life, Heaven, short story, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to THE THREES

1. athling2001 says:

Beautifully written. I love how you tie everything together with the 3’s.

2. Beautiful and equally meaningful words put together with so much emotion ❤

3. Wow, very powerful.

Blessings, grace and peace to you on this stunning day in paradise.

‘Twill indeed be a stunning day in paradise when we at last shall see it! Remember Paul said its beauty cannot be imagined with our earthly eyes or ears. Still it takes a lot of acceptance to get ready for the change; that acceptance is possible through Jesus Christ. Thanks, Michael.

4. mandibelle16 says:

Wonderful story. I like that they will all see each other, that this isn’t the end.

5. atimetoshare.me says:

Lovely, Oneta. You are word master.

6. pranabaxom says:

I hope it is just a story. My heart skipped a beat as I was reading the story.
    Master of your words.

Yes, Pranab. I haven’t had to endure that kind of loss. However, at my age it is obvious that I have watched a lot of friends and relatives who have had to suffer in this way. I’m thankful for eternal hope.

Thank you. Eternal Hope is the impetus and fuel for our ongoing creativity and journey. You always breathe LIFE in what you write. Blessings!

Thank you, Faye. We look to Jesus who said he will give us life; he gives life that sustains breath within us, life that energizes our activities, and spiritual life for eternity. No wonder he says “I am the life….”

Praise Him indeed!

9. Roos Ruse says:

Personally I’m very glad the doctors were wrong about that particular three.

10. Dawn Marie says:

“Surrounded by You glory
    What will my heart feel
    Will I dance for you Jesus
    Or in awe of You be still
    Will I stand in your presence
    Or to my knees will I fall
    Will I sing hallelujah
    Will I be able to speak at all
    I can only imagine
    I can only imagine”
    Hugs to you for the time to imagine….

11. This gave me a perspective of what it’d be like at the end of my life, still leaning on God and His Word, and made me thankful for still having so many years ahead of me! But man am I excited for heaven too 🙂

12. floridaborne says:

What a tribute to your strength! You have had so much loss and yet you are using the time you have left on Earth to fulfillment.

This is fiction for me. I have had no grief like that. However, I take it as a compliment that I wrote in a way that made it seem so. Actually at my age I have had too much experience with grieving with others over their loss. Makes it easier to understand. I pray that I am still far removed from that. Thanks. I went over to leave a follow on your blog. See you.

• floridaborne says:

You did a great job of making fiction sound like truth. There is something about not knowing the time or day of your death that provides the freedom to continue exploring life. I applaud anyone who can take the news of impending death as a challenge to enjoy life even more.

Not knowing the time of one’s death requires a blend of being ready instantly and living as if it will never happen. As I am getting older I find I need to balance these issues. I must take care of earthly matters to leave things less troublesome for my family and I must be sure to have my soul at peace with my eternal hope in Christ. Thanks for the comment.