PART 4 – WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY RE SUFFERING

alone

Image: Pixabay

Additional notes about suffering.  These thoughts are more like opinions – not particularly based on scriptures.

1.  Sometimes we suffer because we may have prayed awry and God gives us our way even though it is not best.  When Rachel gave birth to Joseph, she prayed “May God give to me another son..” (Gen. 30:22-24)  God did answer that prayer but Rachel died in childbirth (Gen. 25:16-18)  Also consider Psalm 106:15 NIV  “So he gave them what they asked for, but sent a wasting disease among them.”

2. Advancements in medical science has done wonders in keeping life and health to people; however, that sometimes results in suffering when life is extended in this way.  I choose life but this situation calls for much wisdom!  (This is too big a subject for this blog, but I welcome your thoughts and comments.)

3. Without battles, there would be no victories.  Consider the words from an Andre Crouch song  “If I never had a problem, I’d never know that God could solve them..” I recommend a blog by Heather Holbrook called “This is a test.”  I love her ending statement. “But when I look back on my life, I do enjoy the sense of victory over a challenge that came my way. So, I guess I am thankful for both – the peace and the battles.”    https://heatherholbrook.com/2018/08/14/this-is-a-test/

Last month my Grandson told his four-year-old to ask Gramma her question.  Her question was “Why did they wrestle Jesus before he died?”  I said, “Do you mean why were they mean to him and beat on him?”  She said, “Yes.”  My answer was what Peter  in the Bible said, “His beatings were for our healing. He heals us in lots of ways – when we are sick and when we are sad…”  By then she nodded her understanding and quickly went about something else important in her day.

There is a lesson here for us.  Just accept his words as truth (it is) and go on about our day in faith that God cares and Jesus suffered for us.

Jesus says we will have trouble in this life (John 16:33).  How do we make the best of them?  How do we let God make the best of them?  Paul Billheimer’s book “Don’t Waste Your Sorrows” was helpful to me.

If any of you have had blogs on this subject, you are welcome to place a link in the comments.

*****************

Part 1:  Character building  https://onetahayes.com/2018/08/07/what-does-the-bible-say-re-suffering-part-1/

Part 2: To Help Others, Because of Sin,, Advance the Kingdom of God  https://onetahayes.com/2018/08/08/part-2-what-does-the-bible-say-re-suffering/

Part 3:  Eternal Reward, Death is to Rescue Saints from Evil, Give Glory to God   https://onetahayes.com/2018/08/12/part-3-what-does-the-bible-say-re-suffering/

This entry was posted in suffering, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to PART 4 – WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY RE SUFFERING

1. So much truth and wisdom in this post Oneta!! Thank you for sharing this.

Thank you for Godly Wisdom in what you have written. I would be grateful for your prayers re the sort of situation you mentioned above. After two brushes with breast cancer and this year radium to mop up any ‘lingering’ rogue cells, experts suggested I should take a ‘rest of life’ course of tablets. (These are a kind of preventative BUT……side effects can influence quality of life…ie bring about ‘other’ other medical events.) I trialed and after taking only three had violent headaches and depression.
    Cancers I have experienced , also in womb ,in the past, by the Grace of God, have not been invasive and I value the life I have very, much.
    I prayed and believe God said NO! to taking these preventatives. (a situation ahead may not come).
    Prayerfully then – not being stupid and having regular check ups etc. I found this PEACE flooded me. Experts respect my decision but are trained to protect and save life with all means possible. I
    want now to put my future and life expectancy completely in HIS HANDS. What think you?

Faye, I think the Peace of Jesus is a wonderful witness to the best route to take. However, I know the Peace of Jesus can be in either route, so that doesn’t help a lot. Sometimes you can make a decision then tell the Lord that is your decision and ask him to change it if you are wrong. In 1st Samuel 10:7 Saul is told to “…do whatever your hands find to do, for God is with you.” I think that means whatever your decision is, God will be with you. I care but can’t do much; the Lord cares and he can do everything. Peace.

3. judyjourneys says:

Oneta, I offer this blog post entitled “Why Hurt People Hurt People.”

4. Dawn Marie says:

“Without battles, there would be no victories.”
    I like this one best…for it is when I have relied upon Him the most. Hugs!

That’s true. Battles might result in some earthly loss to us (such as money) but in those battles we can learn more about Jesus than going through our “routine” kind of life.

5. heatherjo86 says:

It’s very important for us to remember how much God truly loves us and cares for us. I must disagree that sometimes we pray awry and God answers these prayers to our detriment. Jehovah God is love (1 John 4:8). He’s the very personification of this quality. We are imperfect humans, and as such we would never think to give our children something that we know would not just hurt them but kill them. God loves us more than we could ever love our children and he would not deliberately answer a prayer to our detriment. James 1:13 says, “‘When under trial, let no one say: “I am being tried by God.” For with evil things God cannot be tried, nor does he himself try anyone.’”
    Here’s an article that explains more from the scriptures how God shows his love, empathy and compassion for us: https://www.jw.org/finder?wtlocale=E&issue=2018-09&pub=wp18&srcid=share

heatherjo86, I am glad to hear from you. I do truly know that God is love and that he loves us. But we do give our kids, whom we dearly love, things that they beg us for and we know will not be good for them. Everything from sugar to the hand-held mesmerizers. How about buying a car for a careless and irresponsible teen? Maybe for a sixteenth birthday. Is that good for him/her? Can it cause death? I think most parents believe their kids will become more mature and make better decisions; whatever they think, it is certainly not a sign of not loving the child. And we so often do not discipline because we “love them” too much. Granted that is human love, not God’s love. God’s love contains much wisdom that humans lack. I don’t see how the testing examples apply, since I did not say he causes us to ask for things we ought not have. For example, I agree that he does not cause us to buy stuff we can not afford but I do believe he allows it to the point that it can be painful to us. I do believe God often allows us to suffer the consequences of our decisions – some of which we have prayed desperately for. I went to your referenced link. I did not read them – too much. I seldom read referenced material (from a third party) but if you have written on this subject and would be glad to read your thoughts. At least if they are in blog size bites, not books! 😀 I’m swamped and I already know about God’s love, his mercy, his grace, his justice. I’m here and have life in me because of those things! I appreciate your time and comment. Thank you.