OLD FOLKS

old

Interesting bits from Isaiah 3:4-5, 12 (NIV)  “I will make boys their officials; mere children will govern them….The young will rise up against the old, the base against the honorable.”   “Youths oppress my people, women rule over them.”

Adam Hogg is going to Congress when he is twenty-five.  Just ask him!  Got it all planned out.  Kick out the old folks replace with the youngsters.  Turn politics upside down.  Recent elections show that he might be old news by then.  Look at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez – 28 is she?

Sadly, the scripture in Isaiah is a warning not a promise.

*******************

Well, Adam, I have watched it through the church world.  It has been entertaining.  About thirty years ago the church started replacing age and maturity with youth and vigor. The following is written somewhat in fun.  Readers, you can decide whether the youth culture has benefitted the Lord’s work.

**************

I’m eighty-four. The following is my peer image in many modern churches.

We don’t like peppy music, we snap at people who sit in their seats, have no sense of humor, are harsh to the sinner, have no patience with those who dress immodestly, are legalistic and judgmental and “Pharisee-istic”, have pickle faces, hate cell phones, take the best parking places, have pot roast preacher for Sunday lunch, gripe about the color of the carpet, read only KJ, have Sunday-go-to-meetin’ clothes, cause church splits, and otherwise have no fruit of the spirit living in us.  I hear lots about these folks.

Isn’t it amazing how those old churches of years past  could produce and disciple such enlightened offspring? I keep reading and hearing about those folks so they must have been there. I’m thinking….let you know when I remember those folks. Putting some names on them….   Can’t, I don’t remember any.

**************

Know what?  Maybe those scriptures were talking about the church rather than the government?  Or, maybe both?

*********************

image: unsplash, Jonathan Farber

This entry was posted in elderly, generations, Uncategorized, youth and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to OLD FOLKS

1. Debbie L says:

You are on to something! I remember watching the movie “grumpy old men“ when I was younger, maybe in my 30s or 40s. I didn’t get it. Now I am so much older 😳, I get it. It is a shame that as we get older we get those pickle faces as you said! But I understand, as we age, after about 60, our bodies start falling apart and we feel every joint, tendon and muscle in our bodies pulling apart! I’m so fortunate I realized at a young age I needed to take care of my body and have been joyed very good physical health. I’ve eaten right and exercised regularly. But yet, my body is still showing it’s age inside and out. That is why it is so important to rejoice in all things, keep our focus on our Lord, sing hymns and Psalms while we pray without ceasing!!! And thankfully, we can stand on the promises that God is renewing us spiritually day by day!!!!

You’d be surprised at how much you will find out that those stereotypes are not true. God gives life abundantly whatever the age. Reading these blogs opens a new world to me of how many young people are so lonely and plague with the notion of death and suicide. The body is wearing out but the spirit does not. You are wise to take care of the body but the soul needs to be nourished also. I’m confident that you do that but there seem to be a lot who “hit the bottle” or some artificial crutch to help keep the spirit alive – or they might just become grumpy old folks. I do not know those people. Maybe their beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Debbie L says:

You’re right, there are too many young are lost, feel unloved, are depressed and suicidal. So sad. But the grumpy old people I’m thinking of are my parents and my husbands. Especially as they interact with their great grandchildren….I just think it’s their own aches and pains!
        And yes, my spiritual life is as important as my physical! I start everyday in God’s Word, in prayer and worship! But only in the last 10-15 years have I realized how important it is. But around 18 I decided I needed to care for my physical being. I’m just so blessed in all ways!

Yes, you are blessed; that’s because you are a blessing! You will still be great at ninety. 😀

• Debbie L says:

Thanks! My mom is amazing at 95! So I think I’ll have a nice long life, Lord willing! Like you, staying engaged in social media is a great skill. You’re an inspiration! 😊

Thanks, dear. I read you “inspiration” piece on FB. I don’t generally read third party selections. Too much I like to read when I know the writer. I said that because I think you and Bill should do some writing of that kind on the blog. Put it on FB also. However, very few of my FB friends read my blogs. Well very few will admit it by comments or likes! 😀 I love the bloggers who don’t mind leaving tracks. 😀

• Debbie L says:

We needed a tool to draw us together and into prayer. We’ve read most of the NT together and many books of the OT. Then we just discuss it. Writing takes time and discipline! Maybe one day we will. We struggle to keep our travels documented! We know we’ll want them in our future and we do refer back to the places we’ve been to help remember things!
                You’re a gifted writer. I’d love to do more but we’re on the go all day!

You have blogged real TRUTH here. Compromise to the next generations within the Church has in so many places destroyed the beauty and Holiness that God desires. Self must be killed off in the elderly if we are truly to remain as the ambassadors for Christ in 2018. Focus on the people in the past like Moses who did not even begin his ministry until he was 80. And Sarah who gave birth to Isaac ? 90+. I know times are different but the principle is still the same. Encourage all the elderly to ‘forget about SELF and concentrate on HIM’ to benefit their own age but also the ones who are watching at how they travel when the road is more difficult. Caring for the physical makes us all ‘feel’ better add to that caring for the spiritual and the whole person is re-plemished. Blessings! and appreciation.

Thank you. I admire youth for all that they can contribute, but I need someone who has lived a bit tell me how to live. I prefer one who has paid his college bill and lived on a budget to consider how much taxes I should pay. Give me a Viet Nam Vet to give counsel about war. Give me a construction worker to tell me how to put up a solid building. I could get long here, couldn’t I?

3. Great post and filled with truth! America needs revival and to get back to believing the Bible….all of it : )

4. Dawn Marie says:

Interesting….. Hugs for providing something to ponder upon.

5. oneta hayes says:

We need righteous leaders in the church. Prophets of truth. Leaders who low how to grow people not just how to grow a church. Thanks for your concern. Love to you.