JUDGE RIGTHEOUSLY

judge

John 7:24 KJV: Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgement.

“JUDGE NOT” – that partial scripture is probably quoted more often than John 3:16. But almost no one completes the verse – “…For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged…”  If I want to be judged with kid gloves, I’d better judge my brother with kid gloves.

This bit about not judging has allowed a ridiculous standard of behavior to become accepted among Christian Americans! Watching movies with four-letter words, sunbathing in a 3/4 inch bikini strip (OK, so I exaggerate a little. I raise that to a 2 inch strip), preaching a love message without repentance, claiming deductions that are “iffy,” wearing three-caret rings and $5,000 watches, dancing parties for 12 year-olds, coming before God with praise and dirty hands, honoring the wearing of tattoos, bearing the pain of 5 inch heels (they are sooo sexy), divorcing because you are “no longer in love,” well, you get where I’m coming from!

Jesus said for us to take care of the plank in our own eyes “and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.”  Isn’t it odd that he did not tell us to take care of own eyes and leave our brother’s eye alone?  We have an obligation to others when they are moving in ways that will hurt them.  That requires some judging – or maybe “evaluating” sounds better.

One of the gifts of the Spirit is discernment—which I would expect would require some judging. We are told that we will recognize each other by our love. Does that require judging? We are told not to associate with sinful brothers. Does that require judging? We are told to go to our brother and warn him when we see him in error. Does that require judging?

BUT, we are only to judge those inside the church, not outside the church (I Cor. 5:12). May God bless us with pastors who care enough to warn us against encroaching, insidious evil, even if it is dressed as love and tolerance!

Ouch! Excuse me, you all, while I go get this plank out of my eye.

**************

Image:  Pixabay

This entry was posted in judge righteously, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to JUDGE RIGTHEOUSLY

1. Oneta, you speak so well! I pray for better/greater discernment, wisdom, and the ability to speak the truth in love. Seems like many of us are straddling a fence, trying to figure out what to do and when, and IF we have a responsibility when we see troublesome situations. Blessings to you ❤

Thank you. I love blogging, but I find it much easier to write the fun stuff; however, I am convinced that my ministry for the Lord demands more than fun stuff. He so graciously extended my life and gave me this ministry; it was probably not just so I could have fun. Thanks so much for your comments.

• You’re welcome 🙂 In my 7 years of blogging I’ve mixed the fun stuff with a bit of preaching, mostly encouragement–as I believe that’s the gift God nurtured in me…a rather lovely reward for all the things which caused severe depression.

I’m sure you can help many with a testimony of your journey to coping and overcoming.

• It’s difficult when people are not interested in JESUS–some have another belief system, or don’t think any faith will help them. I know I wouldn’t be alive today, but for God/Jesus–HE’s the one who gives me strength to put one foot in front of the other everyday and hold on tight. And the relationship I have with Him is solid, so I really feel like He’s sitting right next to me and talking through whatever the issue is with me. Tonight we were talking about forgiveness and anger, since I have a lot of trouble in those areas–it’s not that I desire to hold onto anger and unforgiveness; not that I don’t understand the importance, as a Christian, and for my own well-being/mental health. But I come from a background of much abuse, so the internal scars are deep–my sense that I’m not valued and respected, or appreciated. So our conversation tonight was really good, trying to find where the “sticking points” were. And He assured me that He will complete the good work He’s begun in me–He’s not giving up, and He knows I won’t. He doesn’t want any of us to fall into condemnation, but to really hold onto the grace His sacrifice provided for us, His believing children. I felt very reassured that I’ll “get there” yet!! May I tell you that it’s such a pleasure and comfort to be able to talk with you online–I know you’re a bit older and wiser than I, and believe you have a loving, gentle spirit. I’ve come such a long way, truly desire to be more “saintly” and “mature”, and please the Lord. He knows that, so I need to be patient with myself and just stay close to Him, tuned into His Holy Spirit 🙂 Much, much love to you, Sister ❤

Yes, it is difficult – and somewhat aggravating – to have relationships with those who do not know Jesus. But he asks us to be his witnesses. And he accepts the obligation to help us do just that. Thankfully. 😀 Your words are very sweet to me. I was raised with many blessings that came to me through family who knew the Lord. Therefore, I have only secondhand knowledge of those who have suffered abuse in their own families; however, I am a “people” person who ministry has been “hand’s on” with many who hurt from school children to dying saints, so I think my heart is open to those who hurt. I have had extreme hurts but not from my childhood. I think I have forgiven. It is hard to be sure. But as I said above we have the Lord’s help. I am “old” but I still think of it as “getting old.” Can’t quite accept that it has already happened! 😀 But I marvel at what God has brought me through and brought me to. You, for one. Thank you for your response.

• As I learn more and more that the Lord desires us to seek His help in all that we do for Him and others–or need to change about ourselves–and that He doesn’t expect us to accomplish anything on our own, this faith walk gets easier and easier and more wonderfully satisfying. God bless you, it’s almost the weekend 🙂 ❤

2. Well said, Oneta. I have heard that “Judge not” has replaced John 3:16 as the most quoted verse of scripture. We Americans don’t like to be told we’re doing something wrong.
    On another note, I just recently caught myself doing the very thing I had criticized others for. And it involved prejudging! I wrote about it on my blog – “Who’s Prejudiced Now?”

Speaking Truth always (in love) Oh how hard but often so necessary. God is the ultimate Judge but without discernment (only in the Spirit of God) we do have a responsibility to lovingly point others away from the enemy’s deceptions and point them clearly to the Holiness of God’s Way. Oh yes this is hated in modern society but true LOVE is absolute TRUTH. Living for ‘self’ and self’s fulfillment in any area of life is not God’s Holy Way.

4. judyjourneys says:

“Ye shall know them by their fruits” (Matthew 7:16) involves making a judgment (or evaluation), doesn’t it? Oneta, thank you for your insight into removing the speck from the other person’s eye after we’ve taking care of our own issue. I hadn’t thought of that verse like that before.

It was new to me also. Sometimes it might mean we need to tell our brother that we have has to lay aside something (or what is applicable) so he/she knows we aren’t asking more than we have been willing to pay.

5. Roos Ruse says:

This post brings to mind the saying, before pointing a finger at others, check the three pointing back at you. We need balance, in our walk as well as or talk. Thanks for sharing this important message, dear Oneta.

Thanks, Roo. We should not be so afraid of hurting others that we do nothing to disciple them. That’s disciple – not discipline! But we are often unwilling to clean our own cup, we just go on our blissful way and let others do the same. Didn’t someone important say that we should go into all the world and make disciples? 😀