OFF-SPRING OF THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD

train

See that silver, sleek, streak whizzing by – that’s ME – an offspring of the Little Engine that Could.   We snicker at the “Greatest Generation” trains down at Central Station.

That Little Engine huffed and puffed to pull two cars and a caboose on flat lands.

Look at us now!  The Z-Gen-ers, pulling forty-five cars!  Our clientele sit in comfort, sip, dip, and even tip.

But the Old Engines say we wouldn’t even be, if not for them.  They say stay on track, straight and narrow.

Why? ,,,,,,,,,,,, I think I’ll try a Wheelie………..

NEWSFLASH:  Ninety killed by The Big Engine That Couldn’t!

*******************

FRIDAY FICTIONEERS

Image: Thanks to PHOTO PROMPT © Dawn M. Miller

Challenge 100-word story, by Rochelle at https://rochellewisoff.com/

This entry was posted in Friday Fictioneers, Rochelle's picture prompt, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to OFF-SPRING OF THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULD

A lot of truth and creativity with this one, Oneta. It’s appropriate in another way: I was so touched by President Bush’s decision to travel by train to his final resting place. After some thought, I decided not to travel up to the departure point to wave goodbye, but it was so good to see so many people lining the route.

Actually I didn’t have an idea what I was going to do with this picture. As I watched the train today, I thought of doing a “big man/little man” story. That didn’t click with a hundred words so I “evolved” into “big train/little train” which took me to the Little Engine that Could. The mind is an interesting thing! Have you been to his Presidential Library? I’m sure you would find stories galore. It’s getting late; I’m about one hour from the end of a book so I’m off to finish it tonight. Hardly got any blog reading done today. Spent most of the day on making a Christmas card list. Last years list blew with a computer this fall, so I had to look up all addresses again. I’ve got to get better at backing up my stuff.

2. grAnnie Roo says:

Your creativity is delightful, even when it startles. I’m upended over this one, Oneta. 😉

I read this at midnight or thereabouts; then went to bed giggling. It didn’t strike me as that funny until I read your comment. Then the “picture” of an Am-track doing a Wheelie wouldn’t leave my head.

3. jillyfunnell says:

So beautifully written, Oneta. I love the clientele who sip, drip and even tip!

4. Kestril Trueseeker says:

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. Little Big Train might have remembered that if he talked to an older train first.

They could have emphasized why he should stay on the straight and narrow! Thanks for the comment. I tried to find a blog for you but failed. Maybe I’ll find you another time.

5. Colline says:

😀 I enjoyed reading your piece of flash fiction.

6. granonine says:

Trying a wheelie will certainly show that the Z-gen-ers lack the plain common sense of their great-great-grandparents 🙂

7. Abhijit Ray says:

Every generation tries to improve upon the generation before. Without experience gathered by first generation, would second generation succeed?

You surprised me with this one. Love it. So much wisdom and insight as well. Thank you.

9. Dale says:

Oh I so feared their cockiness would cause trouble..
    Well done, Oneta!