JESUS – GOD

John ch 1 vs 1 Word

NAMES OF JESUS IN THE FIRST CHAPTER OF JOHN

Word #2:  “GOD”  – Jesus is rightly called God  – the Word was God  – “No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only who is at the Father’s side…(John 1:18)”

Father, Son, and Holy Ghost!  Three in One, One in Three?  How can that be?  Many analogies have been tried, but failed to connect with me.  A three-faced God?   A triangle?   An egg?

So how in the world am I going to deal with an understanding of the Trinity in one paragraph?  Here goes.

The best Trinity analogy I have ever seen came from some Child Evangelism material.  I don’t know who originated it.

The analogy of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost as a comparison with the Sun, the Sun’s rays, and the energy from the sun that is necessary for life. These three all began at the same time, however, it could be said that the Sun begat the rays; one cannot exist without the other, each has its own function.  We cannot behold the Sun, it’s glory would kill us; the rays extend between the Sun and earth;  we can only know what the Sun is like by knowing about the rays; we can have no life if the rays do not touch us with its energizing force.  But we can properly call the rays the “sun” as in, Is the sun shining today?  Sun, rays, energy; Father, Son, Holy Ghost.

There, my argument for how Jesus “God” in less than 250 words!

This entry was posted in Trinity, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to JESUS – GOD

1. judyjourneys says:

Oneta, believe it or not, that is the first time I have heard using the sun as an explanation of the Trinity. The best, until today, that I could think of was the egg (which really doesn’t work because it has four parts). Thank you so much for this new insight to me. How wonderful that God keeps teaching us (and through you).

Thank you, Judy. I’m not to much up on the egg analogy; I think I sort of turned it off because the parts can be separated and parts can be destroyed – or at least changed. I’m glad the “sun” fits with you so well. And, of course, it is true that we cannot exist without the sun, but we could get by without eggs. Give me some Sun, Son, and Spirit! I’m sure there are some ways it will not fit – for instance, science says the Sun is burning itself out. Not so the Father! Good day to you.

2. pranabaxom says:

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, faith in hearts of the believers, love is free for all if one is willing to share.

Thanks for reading and commenting. I do see beauty, faith, and love in my analogy. One more thing, I see life there.

• pranabaxom says:

Faith is a very personal matter and I won’t even dare to comment on that. Your love for fellow human beings is quite apparent. My observation was, and history bears witness to that, that more blood of the innocents may haver been shed in the name of religion and faith over the centuries and is still being shed than any other reasons combined.

Would be hard to outdo what abortion is doing these days. Perhaps these are not innocents to you. The charge you are making has been made many times. I think it is a statement generally unchallenged – just as I am doing now. It would take a lot of research to find unbiased data. And it would be something I could do nothing about as a matter that has happened in the past. I do know it was horrible under Hitler, as true with Nero, Herod, and others. Child sacrifice was also common as an appeasement to pagan Gods. But I also know it is not condoned in any way by Jesus Christ. Neither do I condone it. And those who have participated in such evil will someday face an angry, righteous judge. Or, perhaps they already have. Thanks, Pranab, for your comments. We are very different, but I sense no hostility or defensiveness in you. I respect and value your input.

• pranabaxom says:

We will agree to disagree on this point but that always happens on a civil debate.
            There is a middle path but it’s surprising that in a country that prides itself as a leader of the first world, it’s a taboo subject.
            Please do note that I have not said anything about the apostle of peace or any prophet/s.
            However many who will proudly support the rights of the unborn (and do note that I have not said anything for or against abortion. I hope men will be sensible enough to leave this topic to women to sort out.) will not hesitate to take the law into their own hands to settle scores based on their perception of race /nationality/color /gender. What an irony.

3. This is lovely! Much better then the egg or cherry pie analogy. Myself, I feel a bit embarrassed to imagine Jesus listening to us and going, “no seriously, are those people really trying to an eguate me with an egg?” Although if I know our Lord and Savior, most likely He’d just find that ridiculously funny and start laughing at us.

Our friend Wally has blogged a few posts called “The Hypostatic Union For Dummies.” I thought that was very cute. There’s no shame in being that kind of dummy, we’re talking about God here and He’s supposed to boggle our brains. 🙂

I haven’t heard of the cherry pie analogy. It is true that God gave us some challenges in this life. I think he likes to see us try to solve puzzles that he knows we will never master, and he also likes us to be winner sometimes. I’m winner over two genders – like boy/girl. Solving the problem of 81 genders is too big for me! Throws me back to the Word. I’m happy to remain there with my two gender answer. Oh, my, why did I bring in that subject? Oh, I remember, it had to do with God giving us some problems we will never solve. I’m not sure God gives us all the problems we work at. “Professing themselves wise they became fools” is the cause of some problems. Maybe I better go read more of Wally. I do appreciate common sense.

4. grAnnie Roo says:

I don’t remember hearing this perfect illustration before, oneta. Thank you for not holding back.

Bless you and thank you.
    Once long ago now I told a senior man in our church that the Trinity made sort of sense to me. He humoured me as I was only a child. My concept of GOD at that age was that He was so BIG. so BIG. He filled the sky, He was in the world I could see and was also the God of world I could not see. Therefore it made sense to me God the Father ruler of the heavenly Kingdom (I now think until the two earthly and heavenly become ONE Christ rules the earthly and hands it to the father.when end times come. But, as a child I liked the idea of Father ruling Heaven, Jesus the example for little ones like me to follow and visible God on the earth and then in the Hidden world among all the other evil spirits, ghosts, etc even angels etc etc God the Holy Spirit (Ghost) would be GOD in that realm also. Image the scenario all the ghosts, ghouls etc etc acted out at Halloween etc all in one place when suddenly ……….I am God……the Holy Ghost appears as the sovereign ruler of ALL. No one can understand trinity….it is a complex WORD. I would like to add HOW BIG IS OUR GOD? Does a God of ALL STRATAS of existence make sense to you? The Father IS God, The Son Jesus is GOD, The Holy Ghost is GOD. Three Persons ONE absolutely impossible to define adequately GOD. God the Holy Spirit is force but so much more. He lives within but when given permission can radically change and ‘perfect’ even a broken life. Such is the power of the sacrifice at Calvary. Otherwise frail humans could not have access to such a Holy God. It was life-changing for me as a young woman to be told that God the Holy Ghost because of his ethereal persona actually can live inside an accepting human vessel. Thoughts. Thank you for the inspiration Oneta. xx

6. oneta hayes says:

Faye, you are asking far too much of me for my posts which I want to keep short, concise, and simple. I, too, believe the Holy Ghost resides with us when we invite Jesus into our hearts. Christ abides in us and we abide in Him. Complicated but confirmed by the Holy Scriptures and confirmed by many “witnesses.” I believe when that happens we become “new” as the Bible says that we are new creatures in Christ. That is speaking of the spirit and behavior of man. I don’t understand you statement about “a God of all stratas of existence.” I probably do agree because I do not believe there is anywhere, where God is not. But I don’t understand. I find that children do not have trouble believe that God can “come into their heart.” That we have the faith and trust of a child!