SUSPICION

garage ff

Brandon sat thinking over suspicious activity in his neighbor’s garage.  He saw that  Benson had made a paper-mache globe of the world, following online directions.

When the globe was finished, Brandon saw Benson turn it over and put a hole in the bottom.  He inserted some kind of small mechanical unit attached to wires.  Some smoke rolled from the globe.  Agitated and upset, Brandon cursed and pounded his fist on the tool cabinet.

“Shall I go offer to help?”  Brandon asked himself.  “Maybe I should report to the police.”

But he didn’t want to appear nosy so he did nothing.

******************

Image:  Copyright –Douglas M. MacIlroy

100 word picture prompt by Rochelle

You can read other stories by clicking the blue frog on Rochelle’s page.

This entry was posted in Rochelle's picture prompt, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to SUSPICION

1. pranabaxom says:

You mean Brandon is no big brother? Good citizen reports suspicious activities to the authorities, no?

I think that’s what “Big Brother” is asking neighbors to do. I have no way of knowing when suspicions are reported and a tragedy is stopped. Just hear about the ones that aren’t reported – too late by then.

2. Dale says:

And so society has become… we are afraid of appearing nosy and so make no moves in friendship…

3. oneta hayes says:

You are so right. A real friend might have saved the situation. A question on Family Feud the other night “On a scale of 1-10, how well do you know your neighbor?” The #1 answer was 10. I could hardly believe it. I’ve never had a neighbor that I would answer that. That means, I’m confessing, I must not be real great in the friendly neighbor category.

4. lisarey1990 says:

There is a great sense of intrigue here.

5. Violet Lentz says:

Guilty. I probably wouldn’t have even noticed what her was doing..

6. Classic, I love this, I don’t know if you are British but this seems like a very British thing to do. Made me chuckle

Interesting. From experience this is a very Aussie thing to do particularly at Christmas Time. suspicious actions certainly need to be noted and carefully watched from a distance. Many a tragedy has been averted by neighbours being both nosy but also concerned. One Christmas here two boys decided to make their go-cart fly like Santa’s sleigh. They could have blown their hands off if a nosy neighbour had not phoned the home and simply asked. What are the boys making?. (from a mining site they had pinched two sticks of dynamite). A kind father made these two a slide and indeed that Christmas they did almost fly. .

8. Indira says:

This happens in reality sometimes. Nice take.

9. granonine says:

Not wanting to seem nosy cost

10. granonine says:

Sorry. Lost track .

Not wanting to seem nosy costs people their lives sometimes. Remember Kitty Genovese, wat back in the 70’s? Cried and screamed while she was stabbed multiple times. Died. People closed their windows and doors and let it happen, for fear of being nosy.

Very sad. Didn’t remember the name but I think I remember the occurrence. At that time it seemed almost impossible to believe that it happened; now we take such things so lightly. We have dealt with unbelievable horrors. Our hearts are hardened. Thanks.

11. jillyfunnell says:

All tragedy needs is for good men to do nothing.

12. There’s a great book along this theme, residents of a block of flats see a woman getting abused from their windows but do nothing, thinking someone else will. Acts of Violence – Ryan David Jahn

I think that is the incident to which granonine (above) refers. I didn’t know about the book. I do remember when the incident happened. Thanks for the info. I will look for the book; must be available for me on kindle. I can’t do regular font very well any more.

13. Oh, I must be a nosey so and so. I would have offered to help. Nice write.