GEORGIA

church

Image: Gettyimages.com

Church buildings have changed!  Yes, indeed.  Church people have changed!  Yes, indeed.  My granddad spent much of his time and resources building little churches somewhat like this, often in towns on the “wrong side of the track.”  These people have weathered the brunt of much criticism in the last three or four decades, but they were my people; people who loved and cradled me in ways that have never left doubt in my mind that they loved me, they loved each other, and they loved Jesus.  I’m ever in their debt.

A couple days ago, I put the scripture Psalm 68:6 “He sets the solitary in families,” on Facebook.  The following paragraph is a comment on that status:

Georgia  – it is such a part of my life and it shaped who I am today. I had nothing to offer a church really. I could not sing, play the piano, no real money to give and yet they welcomed me with open arms. Took me to Sunday dinner in their homes. The McCune family added another kid to take to Camp Meeting and so many other places. The Church helped me get to College – I’m sure I’ll never know all the money and energy they expended for me, but I am so grateful. I am a life forever changed by a Church that made me their own. 💗💖💞

The McCune family were not related to me.  They lived on the other side of the state, but we were among a group who met each summer in Woodland Park, CO at the old campmeeting grounds.

I am so thankful for them and others who nourished Georgia.  I have a special blessing because she and my son married into the same family.  Good blessings indeed!

There is so much rationalizing in the current Christian climate about  church attendance not being necessary to be a Christian.  I agree you don’t have to go to church to be a Christian, but you will have a hard time following the commands of the New Testament if you do not go to church.  And you will suffer great personal lose.

The following is a blog I wrote four years ago – another about a little church.  Carl is my son, who is now pastoring another little church.  It doesn’t look like this church, but he is still spreading the love around.   https://onetahayes.com/2015/03/04/little-churches-good-soil/

**************

Image: Getty Images

This entry was posted in Christianity, church, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to GEORGIA

1. Love it. I grew up in Georgia in the 50s and 60s. I am familiar with this type of church, ministry and communities. Blessings for the memories.

2. pranabaxom says:

I hope I have my church / temple in my heart.

3. floridaborne says:

A big change from the 40’s and 50’s came with the advent of TV. There are now HUGE churches that reach out via TV to people who can’t leave home or other reasons for not attending. People make fun of these churches, and yet they have been a God send to many others.

Yes, many do some very good work for home-bound people. I don’t know anyone personally who is discipled by TV who does much as a member of the body of Christ. May be but I wouldn’t find it satisfying. Most are fiercely loyal to their TV preachers, however.

4. grAnnie Roo says:

Dear Oneta, I feel the burden for those who think they don’t need the rest of Jesus’s body, the church. It’s one of my top 4 prayer targets this year. The church universal must wake up and do it’s part to stomp that lie right into the ground. Again, MHO ❤

I can’t imagine choosing to go it alone when it is not necessary. But then I haven’t tried. When I have had to change churches, I’ve felt like a fish out of water. I like being a part of a body – Christ’s body as well as a member of a body of people who can accomplish more together than each can alone.

5. joyroses13 says:

Lovely! It’s not the size of churches that matter. Its what in the hearts of those who are there! ❤

True. It is not the size that matters. But very few who go to a church less than a couple hundred people, go unrecognized and unappreciated as individuals rather than a number. I went to a large church. was on the staff, and I know we worked hard to make every person feel wanted but I also know, we failed far too often. I’ve tried both. I’m speaking up for the little churches now because few people will do so.

6. atimetoshare.me says:

Beautiful post. I’ve found another thing we have in common. My grandfather also participated in building country churches in Wisconsin. So I guess we both come from pretty good stock.

We are blessed to have not had so many hurdles in our Christian walk as so many without Christian ancestors. Part of the blessings bestowed upon Abraham. My grandfather was in Colorado.

My heart aches when I have seen in this country church buildings de-consecrated (ie no longer used for the worship of the Lord God Almighty.) Many have become ‘hangouts’ and places for people to ‘come together’. This is why I believe we must affirm to the whole world that we who are the church of Jesus Christ have His Presence within us EVERYWHERE. In the fires, in the flood, in the earthquakes. Thank God for every little building which stands to nurture and protect folks from the ‘outside’ influences and for every faithful Pastor, Teacher or leader who maintains their flock and calls them to be as Jesus in this world. Thank you.

I like the fact that the man with two talents earned the same “Well done…” as the man with five talents. The loser was the one talent man who did nothing except protect his talent.