JOY OF BEING 84 YEARS, 362 DAYS OLD

Oneta 84

The joy of 84 years and 362 days!  You ask me the ways?  I’ll tell you.

1.  A clothes closet packed full with clothes – none new.  But oh, the possibilities of a new combination.  I found one today and I like it.  Old clothes, new combination = new outfit.  Why shouldn’t that count?  I does if you are 84 years and 362 days old!

2. Lunch date with friend of 17 years or so.  So intelligent; so lovely; so personable; so young (only 71); so influential, and she still likes me!  We have had one date a year now for many years.  We go dutch.

3. Or at least we always have.  Today she insisted because of my birthday she would pay, so I gave in.  When the waitress brought the ticket, she insisted we look immediately and guess what?  No ticket.  The couple in the next booth had paid our ticket.  We didn’t know them; she didn’t know them; they left before we knew they paid so we still didn’t know them.  She said she guessed they had heard Kathleen say she would pay because it was my birthday.  Anyway, I got two birthday presents – Kathleen, who insisted on paying, and the couple I don’t know!  One payer but gift from two.

4. Part of our conversation regarded getting old (even though I’m not even 85 yet).  I tell you, Kiddies (those below 84 yrs, 362 days old), it is the most wonderful thing to do and be – at least for me in Oklahoma.  You remember me talking about the man who started my car for me when it died while I was getting gas.  That’s one example.  Men and ladies open the doors.  Loading one’s trunk in the Walmart parking lot, someone will offer to help.  Even a Walmart employee told me to look for him to help when I leave the store.  If I drop my cane, folks have to be careful not to bump one another’s heads, they so quickly respond to picking it up for me.

5. And if anyone doesn’t notice, it doesn’t bother a whit for me to say I need help.  I’m standing on the curb, feeling unbalanced to step up or step down, no bother for me to ask a passer-by, “Would you hold my hand while I step up or step down.”  Why should it bother me.  They beam at my request and I’ve made another friend even if only for a short time.

6. I got in my own car, drove my own self home, parked in my own garage, walked into my own kitchen, straight on to my own bed, did my own nap time. Required no help.

7. And my dreams are full of lovely talented people.  They don’t even have to be alive anymore.  Example: a dream from a couple nights ago.  I dreamed I was at some function where two of the most terrific pianists were to perform.  (One was a lady who is now performing in heaven; the other is a man who I hope will read this blog.)  They were dependent on me to provide a piano.  I just happened to have one of those roll-up keyboards advertised on Facebook.  I gave it to them.  My dream ended while I was looking for scotch tape so they could tape the keyboard on the wall.

8. The immediate future looks bright.  Left overs in the ‘frig.  Husband is in the den; I’ll go have a few hours with him.  And I still have some time to spend with you.

9. Looks like my chances are pretty good to get old – 85 in two days.  Maybe I’ll find when it gets here that I’m still not old.  At least that’s the way it has been for the last twenty years or so.

10. Remember I must have a sensible number to end with, who ever heard of a list of nine?  So this makes ten.  I simply have to say, “Thank you, Jesus. Life just better and better with you in it.”

This entry was posted in aging, Jesus, me, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to JOY OF BEING 84 YEARS, 362 DAYS OLD

What a delightful, pre-birthday reflection. Even though I’m one of those youngsters you mentioned, at only 72, I know a lot of those pleasures you mentioned — not the least of which is leftovers in the fridge! And isn’t it wonderful to be confident enough to ask for help, or to accept it when offered?

I saw a vacant lot filled with our Texas dandelions today. If I were closer, I’d pick a bunch and bring them to you. Instead, I’ll just send along some very good wishes!

Texas dandelions? I’ll consider that my third present. Thank you much. And good wishes to boot. I’ll take those also. At 72, too many still consider that you need to be producing! I admit to having that kind of mid-America work ethic. I still would like to have some kind of money making job. Stay warm, spring is coming, days are getting longer (and colder).

• Faye says:

Hi. This is my third attempt at trying to comment. The system has and is still playing up. I want to thank you for your blog. May God grant to you indeed the Gift to keep on blogging. Keep on inspiring others. You do it so well. Happy belated Birthday and God’s richest ongoing Blessings. I am only young by your definition….only 75 but 2018 made me feel every bit ot it. 2019 however is different. Now I truthfully can say age should be only a couple of numbers on someone’s calculation list. Each day and year lived with the Lord is a blessing.

Indeed life can be rough on some folks. Generally it is temporary for the Christian. But God can be amazing no matter the walk one must endure. Thanks for your goodness, Faye

2. floridaborne says:

We have so much to be thankful for. My theory is that “old” will always be 10 years older than me. 🙂

Both of us have seen so much, but you were witness to WWII! There isn’t an era that defines America better.

WWII, depression, and dust bowls. Hardy folks came through those days.

• floridaborne says:

They would be ashamed of what we’re facing now. There were people who wouldn’t think of taking from others no matter how dire their circumstance, but appreciated kindness offerred. We have so many in the US that are now just the opposite.

My daddy worked on FDR’s programs (WPA) bridge building. I think they built the library I went to as a teenager. I remember receiving “comodities.” But mostly my daddy worked land for others – share crop fashion. My folks were hard core Democrats in those days. My mother wouldn’t give up to how the Dem. platform changed until near her dying day. Then she said, “Well, if what you say is true, I guess….” I felt bad that her heroes had gone so awry. I blindly followed her and NEA for many years.

• floridaborne says:

I did the same thing you did & my mom told me the same informatiion about the dem’s as your mom did. My dad worked for the CCC during the 1930’s. He had a 5th grade education. Mom was his island in a storm, and an extraordinary household manager. Her ability to stretch a nickle should be classroom material. 🙂

3. mandibelle16 says:

A wonderful post Oneta. Made me laugh. I’m glad you have so many helpful & kind people around you. How nice of the couple (and your friend), to pay for lunch (or offer). You are not old, 85 is the new 75, I’m told. 😊🌸 So, Happy Early Birthday & I hope you are more spoiled and have fun with family and friends. If you do wish it, I hope u get a new outfit too. One every few years I think is okay. But great that you so many to have much selection too. Enjoy your day! 😉🎈

Maybe Easter :D. Reminds me I do have a pretty blue dress that I can wear for Easter. Don’t need another. And I have some new dresses I order online. Springtime wear but they will be first time wear this spring. And thank you for the kind words. I like to make you laugh. Life is really so different from what people stereotype old folks. Of course, I would rather help someone else step up on the curb, but since I can’t I might as well make an adventure of it. Thanks, dear.

• mandibelle16 says:

You’re welcome. I think my mom has always done a good job of involving me with my grandparents and the older people. One of my closest friends for many years was my Great-God mom, Evelyn. She went home to her Lord 2 years ago, and would’ve been 100 in December 2018. But, she was ready & I miss her a lot, but I I always find many kindred spirits in older people and people of many ages. It’s not like high school or university even in real life I think. It’s probably why I like you so much too & also my Baba who is 95. 😉My Godparents are also in their late 70’s. So yes, I have lots of friends who both younger and older. It’s interesting some of the girls I work with are in their mid to late 20’s & I have fun with them. I have my besties from university and one back from JR high, who are around my same age, & also three of my close friends— my absolute closest my mom, who is 60, my first boss from my job in the university bookstore in University, she’s around 58 & we became close friends after I left to work after school. And also my art teacher from highschool is a close friends; she is 65.
        So, I think friendship can exist regardless of any age. Anyways have a wonderful birthday & enjoy which ever lovely dress you choose. I love to wear dresses in spring, so it’s nice you have some new ones to try 🙂 As long as you feel good in whatever you wear, that’s what matters.
        Hugs 🤗

Hugs back. I know you must be a valued treasure to your face-to-face friends. Maybe I’ll shine in my Easter dress. If so, I’ll post a picture. 😀 Don’t watch too hard; not apt to happen.

4. Happy Birthday to you–
    Happy Birthday to you–
    Happy Birthday dear Oneta…
    Happy Birthday to you!!!!!
    and mannnnnny moooooorrrreeee….!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (it’s best you read this and now hear it 🙂 )

5. Erin says:

What a blessing! Happy late Birthday and many more 😀

6. How wonderful that humanity still exists. Happy early Birthday, Oneta! You and my mom are the same age. It’s a great number. ❤️🎂❤️

7. judyjourneys says:

Oneta, I’ve included parts of this blog in my lesson plan for Sunday on Philippians 2. Thank you for it, and happy birthday.

8. oneta hayes says:

Thank you, Judy. Be blessed.

9. Happy Birthday! What a lovely post. 😊

10. I love this SO much!!! Thank you for spreading sunshine!! 😊❤️

11. Kae Bucher says:

I really really love this piece… full of optimism , hope, and insight .. thanks so much for sharing:)