AGE ACCORDING TO MODERN MATH

So many have expressed about my age  since I appear so much younger, I thought I might ought to go into a bit of detail about how I know for sure I am eighty-five.  I’m doing new math to prove to you that I keep up with the times.

**************

I was eighty in 2014 (that’s because I born in 1934) so how old am I this year (after birthday has passed of course, since 2019’s birthday has occurred, this example I am giving is  the right way to figure my present age – if it had not yet occurred it would not be right), but back to 80 in 2014, my birthday has happened this year so how old am I now (and of course, I will be this number of years for the remainder of 2019, we will not bother with fractions at this point). In fact I will be this number of years up to my birthday in January, 2020. That is if you round figure to the lowest even year. No, I don’t mean even year like odd/even – I mean like the total of years I have lived for the complete rotation of the earth around the sun, or is it the sun around the earth? Which is right? That’s modern science; I haven’t studied that out too well. Now back to our math question. If I was eighty in 2014, sorry that should if I “were” eighty, no that’s not the right mood, maybe not mood, but when stating something that might not be, which is sometimes signaled by the word “if”, you are to use “were” not “was” – I think it is the same in modern grammar?  At least we will assume it is the same, so back to my question. If I were eighty years old at my birthday anniversary on January 24th in 2014, how old will/would I—no, how old am I now. No, how old was I on January 24, which happened to be last Thursday, in this our present year, 2019. Shall I repeat the question?

Oh, you understand the question. Good, let’s go on to how to work out the solution. Write down 8 x’s, each x will represent the number 10 (which is the first numeral that contains two digits—that is if you do not consider negative numbers). You can write these x’s in either a horizontal or vertical direction – you might want to clump them together like a ball or put them in a circle, or you might want to make an imaginary car with an x used to represent each focal point on the car. Just anyway will do. Now make a row of 10 slashes, draw a line underneath to show that they represent the next set of ten (which by the way, I will need when I reach ninety when I will change them to another x). But I am not really ninety yet so you will need to mark off a slash for each year since 2014 – so 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 – there you are five slashes left.

Put those with your eight x’s, the one’s you used to draw the car. Hold those eight x’s in your head, no just imagine them, put the five slashes with them, how many is that?

Yes, you can use on one hand that five fingers  to represent the slashes if you want to. Maybe that is better than the slashes. Why not just have eight buddies come up and each of you will hold up ten fingers, we need five more buddies one finger each. Now let’s count the fingers. Why fingers? Because they will each represent one year, that’s a full rotation of the earth around the sun…

*****************

This is not fiction; it is textbook kind of writing, so I guess that makes it non-fiction. 😀

This entry was posted in aging, humor, me, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to AGE ACCORDING TO MODERN MATH

1. SarahC says:

reminds me of the x and the slash hubs uses to keep score in dominoes! So of course i never know my score and he has to keep track lol. We hope your day was enjoyable!

2. pranabaxom says:

Who cares. Age is just a state of mind. And you are as young as you think. Today in our breakfast table I showed your photo with your sister to my wife and she exclaimed, “she looks marvelous, young for eighty five”. So there you go. A young eighty five.

3. Yinglan says:

You lost me with all that math, Oneta!!! 😂😂😂
    And 85 is young. Haven’t you heard? 80 is the new 70 and that means 85 is like 75. 😄
    And people often tell me, “you’re only as old as you feel.” So if you feel young, then you’re young.

You just never have been taught the right way before, dear girl. 😀 😀 Don’t you wish you had had me for your fourth grade teacher? And thanks for the nice words.

• Yinglan says:

I kinda do wish you were my fourth grade teacher considering I never did 4th grade. I heard those were fun times. 😄😄

Students are pretty nice at that age and before. Third graders are sweet as pie, but some of the curriculum is harder that year. Or it used to be. First and second, adorable but so hard. Still short attention spans, want attention, but sweet, sweet, sweet. Or, as I said, it used to be.

• Yinglan says:

I wish I have gone through those grades in the U.S. It sounds like fun as to the dog-eat-dog competitive school life I had in China during those times. I started out in fifth grade when I came to the U.S. and even then, I felt like we spent a lot of time playing instead of sitting behind a desk learning but that’s how children often learn, right – by doing?

They learn by doing but the goal is to do activities that teach content and values. Have you watched them with “doing” with their cell phones, etc. I have not seen one who like to look up every thing they can find relating to writing properly, have you? Or one who loves to play logic questions? Or one who looks up why animals relate to environmental locales? Nope, they play games. Learn by doing. Yes. I don’t trust what they are “doing.”

4. agshap says:

It sounds like algebra to me and I failed that. Besides I think after 70 we should stop counting and live every day to the fullest. This being said now I have to figure out how old I am since I have a birthday coming up in Feb…..

Try my system for figuring your age. Some people just do things like put down 2019 and subtract 1972 (or whatever) then they take the answer. But if you need to have something concrete and visual try my method. Really I hope you had fun with me. 😀

I had fun but was a bit challenged by the working out of same. Enough to say I believe you and thank you for the sharing. I often wondered if we are 0 naught for the months before our 1st birthday and ask any woman who has had a baby before her 1st wedding anniversary why it often is hard to explain to people that she was married first and the baby conceived after the wedding. I think this is the current problem with Megan and Harry who will be parents before their 1st wedding anniversary.(lots of rumours due to misunderstanding going around). Cheers!

I was definitely not serious, Faye. I was as muddled in writing as I expected the readers to be. My sense of humor. I think most parents just state children’s age in months the first year. Babies change so fast I even like to know months after the first year. I had my first child before I had been married a year. Many folks did back in that day. Not as much birth control used then. Get married, have a baby – 😀

6. hatrack4 says:

Happy 85. I used to be a math wizard, until they modernized it.