DISCOVERING ROADS IN MISSISSIPPI

discovery

Kind of like the road in Mississippi

If you make it dark and make it scary

The result of a fight between GPS and me!

Land O Goshen!  ‘Twas a mess,

When I ignored the GPS!

My sister, the driver, was badly disgruntled

My confidence, I admit, became somewhat crumpled.

The woman’s voice – giving my husband advice

Kept saying”Recalculating, Recalculating” – far more than twice.

The compass said  South, so I opened my mouth

proclaiming  “That’s the direction to go.”

So on we went – though the going was slow.

But all ended well, I knew at least

That at some point we would turn East.

Four hours late, but with great elation

We arrived safely at our destination.

***************

Hi, Friends.  I’m back home.  Had a wonderful time in Mississippi, excepting this small event.  😀  It isn’t fiction; not even exaggerated much!

***************\

Tossing in my first entry to a challenge from https://pixtowords.com/2015/09/06/pic-and-a-word-challenge-1-discovery/

This entry was posted in humor, me, Pic and a Word Challenge, technology, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to DISCOVERING ROADS IN MISSISSIPPI

Welcome home! What’s an extra hour among friends, especially when you show up where you’re supposed to? I love Mississippi, although I’ve not been through the whole state. When I go, I’ll take a map, though. No GPS for this little chicklet!

I answered this once, but where did it go? If you get two, read both. I admit I might have just imagined the alligators in swampy waters as we drove by! I’m not leaving this state again without a paper map. Cheapest thing I could find was $20! We had three phones, GPS, two kindles when we left home. In the wilds of Mississippi the two kindles and one phone was worthless; two phones had no battery power; GPS worked. (If I had let it, but we would have gone 80 miles out of the way, I think.)

2. floridaborne says:

My best friend uses GPS. I use a map.

So she used GPS to “find” my home when we drove back from out of town. About 2 miles from home, it told her to turn down the wrong road — a road that has the same name as the turn off to my dirt road, but it’s a “Street” instead of an “Avenue.” It kept telling her to turn back. When she didn’t, it said, Turn right at ___, left at ___, left at ___ and left at ___ at every intersection. Basically, it wanted her to go around the block and go back to the wrong road. When it hit the dirt road (designated an “Avenue”), it tried to direct her to turn down a “road” that hasn’t been used in so long the forest swallowed it.

When it comes to GPS, my answer is, “Not gonna go there.” 🙂

“Recalculating, recalculating” on and on. Some people probably know how to reprogram when they get in a spot like that by inserting other city names or something but we didn’t know enough about it to do so. Seeing is believing; I’ll have hands-on paper map next time.

3. pranabaxom says:

Glad to see you back.
    Good to see that you have your humor intact after the GPS incident.
    Long absence in cyberspace gets scary.

You’ll really be impressed when I tell you I had a second fight with the GPS. Yes, sir. I told that old girl to shut up and drove straight way onto the wrong road that took us to Memphis instead of Greenville. It was great to find Hwy 140, from whence the drivers needed neither me nor my nemesis. You are right about the cyberspace and scary silence.

No GPS for me either I’m convinced. Not after some tourists in Oz followed theirs off a river bank and drove /dived into the river. The GPS said there was a road. Ooops!. Great poem. Good story. Thank you.

Yes, our darling “voice” took over during the last ten miles or so and delivered us right into a drive in the woods so we backed out and looked some more. About the time we decided to go back to the last town so we could borrow a telephone, I (yes, me) spotted the place. Last gasp. 😀

5. Glad you made it home safely!! Welcome back ❤️

6. calmkate says:

lol great post, glad you returned safely despite these fuddangled contraptions … I had a similar experience and was so badly scarred I use maps or ask people …