MORNING GLORY

morning glory

Mowed off the road sides,

I miss the Morning Glory.

Country memories

**************

Challenge: Heeding Haiku with Chèvrefeuille and Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie.

This entry was posted in haiku, haiku, please TAG Heeding Haiku with Chèvrefeuille, Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to MORNING GLORY

1. Salvageable says:

It makes me sad when the county or state cuts the flowers that they planted along the highway while they’re still in bloom. I know they have schedules to keep and that sometimes lines of vision are an issue, but it still makes me sad. J.

2. pranabaxom says:

Today during collection of garbage , the garbage truck broke a huge branch of a camphor tree in front of my house. I was sad to see that. As I was coming back home after walking my dog, I saw a truck in front of my house and a gentleman trimming the branch lying on the ground. He came and introduced himself as the supervisor of the waste disposal company and told me that his driver informed him that the branch was broken while the robotic arm of the truck was lifting the trash can from the ground. The supervisor expressed regret, trimmed the branch and cleared the trimming off the road. Though I felt bad about the broken branch, I was impressed by the supervisor’s genuine regret and clean up effort.
    Now I read your poem, see those beautiful flowers and feel sad again.

That is a great example of a person taking responsibility and doing right. We had a pleasant experience similar to this with our street people. We had a large branch (maybe 18 inch diameter) hanging over the street. We were afraid it would fall so my husband called “street” management people to ask them permission to close the street while he and my son could cut and remove the branch. They came and looked, agreed that it needed to be cut down, sent a crew and did it in less than half a day. They removed a second one also. Relief! Yes, I know wild can’t be left wild at road sides, but I’m sad about the loss.

Here in Texas, there’s much more attention paid to the flowering and seeding times of the flowers — native wildflowers, particularly. From interstates to county roads, the flowers are allowed to go to seed, to help ensure next year’s crop. Only then do the mowers show up. Occasionally, private landowners will get out of sync with nature’s calendar, but that can’t be helped — especially when ranchers and farmers are involved.

I do love the morning glories, even though some are considered weeds, like bindweed. We have so many pretty ones — white, pink, blue, purple — and they always remind me of my dad, who’d come in to wake me, saying, “Morning, glory!”

Hello, have you been tripping. Seems I haven’t seen you for a while. Good for Texans and their appreciation for wild flowers. I have noticed. I haven’t been there for a while. But I remember. Lovely memory from you dad. My memory of Morning Glory’s is from a childhood home where flowers had to like dry weather. Mom had Morning Glory’s on the yard fence. I see some flowers here in Ok that remind me of them. I’m not sure. Lacking a fence, I think they would spread on the ground like the ones I see sometimes.

Only one struggling plant here but when it does flower the morning glory we have to trail over an old gate does bring joy and hope. It struggles with our very hot summers but often pops up in early autumn and occasionally in spring. Considered a pest in Oz but I love it.

As you see from my comment to Linda above, it brings memories to me because of it’s growing up the fence in our dry land country. Hardy plant. I find several people who appreciate and love it.

5. Melissa Zelniker-Presser says: