BUILDINGS AND PEOPLE GET OLD

piano planter

NOTE:  I question whether this is in poor taste.   I am not being cynical, making light of a problem, nor being humorous.   I am exaggerating, but I am recognizing that this kind of problem exists.  We need more medical research going into this problem rather than the money doled out to illnesses that can be helped or avoided by life changes.  And God give us compassion for the caretakers involved.  I have family and friends who have had to (and are presently having to) care for the people they love and I never cease to be amazed how much compassion they exhibit under extreme pressure.  Sorry for the long introduction to this situation.

*************

Look carefully.  Can you see that picture of me on the wall?  That was when I had a thriving piano business.  The old place is all gutted out now.

Mother helped many years.  When she was 76 she decided to learn to play piano – there were plenty for practice! The years took their toll.  Dementia attacked suddenly.  I found her with a hammer as she set about making a planter out of one.  I placed her in a rest home.   (phone rings)   Hold on a bit while I answer the phone……

The nurse caught mother with a hammer again.

+++++++++++++

Written for Friday Fictioneers by Rochelle  https://rochellewisoff.com/

PHOTO PROMPT © Anshu Bhojnagarwala

This entry was posted in aging, Friday Fictioneers, Rochelle's picture prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to BUILDINGS AND PEOPLE GET OLD

1. That’s a real problem and although there have been very many advances in treating it up to a point, things still seem bleak

2. grAnnie Roo says:

I giggled about the hammer, Oneta. Do NOT get me started on Big Pharma, insurance, today’s obvious principalities, powers, rulers of darkness of this age, spiritual hosts of wickedness…

3. atimetoshare.me says:

I’ve been working with memory care patients on a limited basis. We do a series of improvisation exercises whereby the residents can use their memory bank to draw from. It has been very interesting to see what they come up with. I believe drama is not only a great form of expression, but a good tool to exercise the mind. Love the post too. The hammer was funny. I can relate to this too as I took care of my mother in law as she went through this process.

I haven’t had that position because of distance involved from the situations. Those who have had sometimes exercise a great deal of humor to deal with persistent mis-behaviors.
      Thanks for sharing.

4. pranabaxom says:

I often wonder what does people who lose their memory think or perceive the word. Had seen one of our family friend, older than me, go through the different phases, from starting to full development of dementia, till her untimely death and the devotion of her husband for ten plus years of taking care for her.May God give more strength to the caregivers.

5. Lovely. And scary, all at the same time.

Yes, it is. I am sure there have been terrible cases of neglect and abuse to these ailing people, but I have seen some amazing love in the extreme also. Thanks for the comment.

6. joyroses13 says:

Well said Oneta, its a sad reality of our times and you handled it in a sensitive way and as I always say, humor is my coping mechanism in life!!

One can find amazing love in unexpected places. As an on-looker I can not fathom such patience, faithfulness, and love. The people I have known have had a faith in the Lord but I’m sure others can cope amazingly well also. I just cannot speak for them.

7. Interesting take on this prompt. Very sad. Alzheimer’s sucks the life out of everything.

Different for sure. Very serious subject for a “weird” picture prompt. Thanks for the comment. I don’t remember having met you before. I hop over to do a bit of browsing if I can find you.

This was a valid and thought-provoking entry. I saw a debate the other day. Maybe of interest. It was listing three main options . Govt suggestions. 1. Euthanasia 2. More medication to ‘keep the patient ? Happy 3. Stimulating and encouraging places where people with dementia are well cared for but in an environment where…..music, singing, dancing, drama, prayer and story telling are all not ‘extras’ but part of their daily lives. They conducted a trial on 2. and 3. Some were pressing’ for 1 without a trial oops too late if they were wrong.
    Option 2 Zombies but compliant elderly.
    .Option 3 has had startling results. The ones in the facility where people of faith led prayer times, dancers and musicians came for their section and actors and drama students involved every one in interactive drama. Not 100% for everyone but changes in expressions and obvious enjoyment of life was truly extraordinary. They had incidents where an old lady could not even remember her own name yet sang a whole song. A man who had previously just sat in a chair unmoving jumped up and recited a section of Shakespeare’s Hamlet. O God if only people of faith and vision could really see what a difference all sections of society could do to improve life for our seniors.It is written (in the Word) that when the body decays the spirit rises and becomes more and more This can be also true of. not just the spiritual but the mental as well.

Very interesting and #3 option is the hope for all people who have to put parents into other facilities. But it is done more often in display ads than in reality! Thanks for taking the time to give me a review of the study. I appreciate it. Maybe something more hopeful is coming down the pike. Hope so.

Ooops sorry Subject inspired my response. Your handling of this topic with humour was both clever and to be applauded. Thank you.

10. Dexter Taylor says:

There is something about that piano that she might not have liked. The hammer sure did give it a beating. Lol.