FIRST RESPONSE

ferriswheel

I sit and look across the lake.  Lights are beautiful.  I snap a still.  Then decide to do a video.  Beautiful as it whirls…..

What’s happening?  The ferris wheel crumples to the ground.

“Oh, Wow, what a shot! Reporters will want this for sure!”

Suddenly I’m ashamed of my first response.  I question, “What is my reason for gawking at a traffic accident, running to a fire, watching to see where the emergency vehicle is going?”

“Oh God, forgive me.  Help me to always have a first response to cry out to you for the victims of tragic accidents.”

****************

One hundred word fiction for Friday Fictioneers challenge by Rachelle. https://rochellewisoff.com/        PHOTO PROMPT © Dale Rogerson

This entry was posted in Christianity, Friday Fictioneers, Rochelle's picture prompt, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to FIRST RESPONSE

1. neilmacdon says:

And yet, that is often the first reaction of a professional. Well told

2. joyroses13 says:

Whenever my Aunt would hear the siren of an ambulance she would send up a prayer. I have tried to do the same. Good story!

May your prayers be answered. In real life I practice that but there is a fascination and curiosity that grabs at me. I am astounded at the people who will stop and take pictures at the expense of valuable time which might help the victims, sometimes even plugging up traffic which makes emergency less efficient.

3. Jelli says:

A beautiful story that is all too truthful to human reactions.

4. Dale says:

It is a truth. Adn yet, we do need those reporters to keep us abreast of what’s going on… then again, maybe we don’t really…

Well done, Oneta!

5. grAnnie Roo says:

I long for the days of Walter Cronkite, Chet & David when there was actual reporting instead of paparazzi telling us what we should think. Excellent work here, Oneta.

A gripping piece of writing. profound reflection on where morality and compassion has given way to sensationalism and selling air time or papers in our societies. Excellent reflective. Thank you.

7. msjadeli says:

a beautiful stream of consciousness tale with a lesson

8. granonine says:

I won’t slow and gawk. I may have to slow if the traffic control makes that necessary, but I will not rubberneck someone else’s tragedy. I am not trained in any way to be of help, unless someone needs comfort. That, I will do. But I totally understand your character’s reaction, and often wonder how much easier it would be for the medics, etc. if people would simply keep moving and stay out of the way.

9. Abhijit Ray says:

You are right. It is a dilemma should one shoot photo during disaster or run to help. Many argue, helping is professional’s job and vital information may be lost if everyone runs over the site of accident. But, what about those crying out in pain? Should we let them suffer to their fate?

10. The world taints our reactions—sad to say. Love the prayer, and I trust that God heard it. ❤️