THE LEANING TREE

leaning tree

1952:  With girlish glee I measured my adolescent growth by the Leaning Tree.

1955:  Four inches taller but I still walked straight as I passed under the Leaning Tree.

1956:  My sixteenth birthday pictures were taken under the branch of the Leaning Tree.

1958:   My whispered secrets were safe at the Leaning Tree.

1959:  Seeking comfort during a temporary breakup with Eddie I sat under the Leaning Tree.

1961:  When Eddie asked to marry me I delightfully ran to the Leaning Tree.

2019:  Eddie has gone forever, but here I am again, aged, stooped, sorrowful, and walking slowly but I will find solace at the Leaning Tree.

*******************

Psalm 91:1 KJ  He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

*******************

Friday Fictioneers Challenge by Rochelle.  Use the picture prompt to write a 100 word story.

PHOTO PROMPT © Roger Bultot

This entry was posted in aging, Friday Fictioneers, Rochelle's picture prompt, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to THE LEANING TREE

1. pranabaxom says:

Sixteen at 1976, can’t be Oneta. Then Eddie, not Tom, so confirmed.
    Enjoyed reading.

2. Great story and a nice tie-in with Psalm 91, especially considering the picture. I enjoyed it.
    -David

3. map195 says:

excellent & facinating

4. Violet Lentz says:

How wonderful it would be to have a place with so many memories tied to it. It would be like going home every time you visited.

5. Alice Audrey says:

That’s the nice thing about having such a long-lived being as a friend.

6. granonine says:

What a unique interpretation for this prompt. A lifelong love story and a lifelong friend in that tree.

7. gahlearner says:

Poor woman, grown old before her time, not even sixty yet. I love how the leaning tree is a true tree of life for her.

I have certainly lasted longer than that! My younger son was born in 1960. You are right; I should have made her older by at least twenty years. 😀

I edited my post. Do my years make better sense now? Or do I still have them wrong? 😀 I should have changed them when you pointed out the inconsistency. Thanks. I think they are okay now.

• gahlearner says:

Perfect! I didn’t mean to harass you, It really wasn’t a big deal. I just saw that she was younger than me and thought, is that how younger people see us? Nononono… help? 😀
        See it as an exercise in little details.

I did not see it as a negative thing from you. I just saw it as wrong. Actually I started out with a random year then worked forward at what I thought made sense without thinking about age at the end. I did think about many women being widowed much younger than I am so I gave them a shorter married life. Thank you. Anytime you can help, I just say thanks. 😀

8. Tender story of time’s passage. Really lovely. It reminds me a bit of Shel Silverstein’s The Giving Tree. We rarely believe that nature is watching.

9. A beautiful story of the passage of time with a place of solitude and peace. We should all have one. Lovely!

Thank you. Lovely tie in with Psalm 91. Blessings.

11. Jay says: