LENDING TO THE POOR

piggy bank

RED LETTER TIME.* Can we really live according to Matthew 5:40?

“And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.”

Surely that doesn’t mean to loan to a person you do not trust! If I don’t trust him, surely I would be relying a lot on the Lord. Yes, I guess that is who I should be relying on.  A major point to this lesson.

Makes me think of Proverbs 19:17 about he who giveth to the poor, lendeth to the Lord.

I believe I’ll look up some scripture about being a good steward. I know there is more to this than just giving it away. Must surely be a proverb that tells me to be wise and keep my assets!  😀  Actually there are scriptures about acquiring assets, but I don’t think there are any about “storing them up.”

This might be a good time to consider the issue of capitalism and socialism.  In a nutshell I believe that capitalism is the only way one can acquire enough goods to be able to lend/share/give away.

Anyone going to help me out of my “red letter” quandary?

*************

RED LETTER TIME – Scriptures from Jesus’ words – some tough stuff!

Image: Pixabay

This entry was posted in Capitalism, Jesus, lending, Matthew 5:40, socialism, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to LENDING TO THE POOR

1. pranabaxom says:

Preach that to your hero in the white house and his henchmen on the hill.
    From my reading of the Bible (and I confess it’s not very deep), I am convinced Jesus was not a capitalist.

Agreed, he was not; neither was he a socialist. Why are you digging at President Trump still? When/if he goes under, so will our country. You might have to check your piggy bank to see if you can fly to India, is it? Or scoot over to make way for the nations of the world to come in. Why do you suppose they want to come here? A capitalist system like ours. Perhaps to change us? Why? When we have nothing left we can’t be of any help to them there or here. That must be the answer. “If I have nothing, neither will you.” However that is blindness for sure. A very ignorant view of socialism as everybody equal. Not by a long shot. The ruling class will not be hurt. Stand your ground, Pranab. Answer my questions if you have answers. Why do the Democrats/Socialists want to change everything that has been built in America? They helped build it; why ruin it?

• pranabaxom says:

When(not if) the current POTUS goes down, the country will float higher.
        Are you threatening to send me back to India? Your bias is showing😂. Why should I leave my country?
        Majority of the immigrants (and I am sure as did your ancestors) come here for better opportunity except the genuine asylum seekers.
        I may not be on PC ground here but the church is for immigration because it increases its flock.
        Businesses (whether democratic or republican) encourages illegal immigrants because they can exploit cheap labor.
        American public (may be unwittingly) support illegal immigration because they want cheap labor and cheap food.
        One of my early poems (from 2014)on this subject:

I did not intend to infer at all that you need to go back to India. I meant that India might look like the happy hunting ground compared to the USA if we go under. And that it might be awfully hard to scrap up the money for getting out of here if we go under. Read what I said not what you accuse me of. Next you are right about our ancestors (yours and mine) coming for a better opportunity. That’s the reason I can’t understand the reason to undermine what we are. or were when our (yours and mine) ancestors came here. Regarding “the church” I don’t know. Perhaps so for the Catholics, however, they have a good many who are coming from the south already. Anything I say regarding that would be unproved. I agree about the cheap labor reason for open borders; you don’t find me arguing for that. My stance is against illegal immigration as it is against most anything illegal. I’m all for legal immigration. I don’t think it is as as much to blame for cheap labor as illegal immigration. That is not President Trump’s fault, except to the extent that the economy is better now under his administration so more people are willing to come in any way possible (illegally). Wages have gone up not down under his administration.
          Where am I now with my answers. Oh, about American public. Same answer as above as well as my admitting that I like to get my veggies as inexpensively as possible BUT not at the cost of illegal workers. There I think I have answered each issue. Still you have yet to give me any reasons why you hate Pres. Trump and why you accuse him and his cabinet of being henchmen. I haven’t read the link yet.

• pranabaxom says:

Ah, I was able to get under someone’s skin. Feels good. 😂

Columbus did go looking for my ancestors, though I am glad he did not find them😂.

None of my ancestors came to USA. I am the first one of eleven siblings. No one were even willing to consider, so I may be the black sheep of the family.

I will tale you a joke here about India. After India’s independence, India was much closer to USSR than USA. Khrushchev sent Marshal Bulganin, his defence minister, to India to survey India’s needs. After a long, thorough survey when Bulganin went back to Moscow, Khrushchev asked for a report. Bulganin had only two words, “God exists”. Khrushchev was livid with rage and demanded an explanation for this un – communist response. Bulganin explained calmly: no one in India does any work but the country is moving. Ask anyone for anything and the response is “God knows”. So God must exist (the situation though now is much different and you may be able to get high on cheap “bhang lassi” – cannabis yoghurt shake in my college town of Varanasi- perfectly legal) 😂.

Now what did you ask me about the POTUS? I forgot. Must be the thought of the cannabis shake made me high. Oh well, Make A**hole Go Away.

Everything I said about your ancestors applies to you then. Came for opportunity. I know very little about India. I only assume you are here because you thought USA was a better opportunity for your family. Perhaps you are not among those who want to change it. I also assume you came here legally. If you didn’t, I’ll still spar with you. Are you waiting for the next Dem’s report on Pres. Trump before you can answer my question about why you hate him? Surely somebody somewhere someday can come up with a charge. They will get one when they find a real good liar or two who will provide fodder for a price. Perhaps another “Steele Dossier” which cost a pretty penny.

• pranabaxom says:

1. Yes, I (and my wife) came here legally. Did go to graduate school, work, green card, citizenship all done legally. Not sure for a better opportunity or not. I was already working in India after my graduation in Mechanical Engineering. My wife was working on her PhD in Physics when we got married. The town I was working on did not even have a science college at the time of our marriage. So just tried out for further studies to be together instead of seeing each other on the weekend. Don’t think it has changed much, still see each other more or less on the weekends (though we sleep under the same roof every night now) 😭.

2. I don’t even hate the one who wants to challenge him in 2020, how can I hate him?

3. To find a better liar than POTUS, my, my, that’s a tough one.

2. An interesting topic to ponder..

As Christians we should and mostly do have a giving heart, but the issue is so prevalent in the political climate now that I think it is worth discussing. The Democrats who do not want a secure wall present it as a moral issue I think as a talking point. I see caring for our own people as a moral issue. I believe that can be defended by scripture one of which is I Tim. 5:8 “he that does not take care of his own household is worse than an infidel” So what is truth regarding the Christian acceptance of illegal immigrants? If one walks in my back door do I have to let him live with us? Obviously I think now, but I cannot send him off without help, so how much help. Big question.

3. atimetoshare.me says:

I thought your response to Pranab was stunning. Way to go❤️❤️

4. I believe we are supposed to take care of folks the Lord

5. Sends our way .oops I accidentally sent the message before I was finished with it! However the Bible says folks must work or not eat.

6. Wow, quite a dialogue… on a lighter note, we were talking about this passage in our Sunday school class, and one young lady quipped, “Sure, carry the soldier’s pack two miles, then just don’t give it back.” 😉

7. Love all the conversation you have started Oneta! I do believe conversation is good. This is a really hard topic and I think the left likes to derail us and call us intolerant if we do not agree with all they say.
    I firmly believe in legal immigration. I believe in helping immigrants become working citizens and helping them become productive. My children have friends who are here in this country legally who get very upset with those here illegally.
    I believe Jesus instructs us to help others but I also know we are told that He who does not work will not eat. (as Pat says). The wonderful thing about Jesus is He loves us all where we are…He just doesn’t expect us to stay there and stagnate.

Thanks for the comment, Faye. We can have wide opinions of what love is – or at least what love will/can do. I’m convinced that love sometimes demands that we make the able and capable do for themselves. I believe that is what God does also. And I believe there is a legal and moral way to do almost anything – at least for those who walk in his way. It’s late and I’m tired. I’m not sure I wrote what I wanted to say. Good night, dear.