I am an old timer for sure, but even I have not participated in many “foot-washings.” However, a few years ago a women’s group to which I belonged decided to have a foot-washing. The following notes consist of 13 scriptures which refer to “feet.” In each of these circumstances, I found reason for a prayer for my friends as we washed one another’s feet. We didn’t all pray for the same thing but each of us chose a particular prayer for each lady. The entire post is longer than usual for me and you might not want to read all of it; therefore, I am placing the prayer in red text followed by the scriptures on which that prayer was made.
JOHN 13:14 ... WASH ONE ANOTHER’S FEET
No longer do we need to wash the feet of one another for the purpose of removing
dirt, so what can I give you while I wash your feet? The following scriptures speak of
feet. They represent my prayer for you as I wash your feet.
- Step with faith and obedience into your miracle. As the priests stepped into the Red Sea and the waters parted (Josh 3:15 ….. The feet of the priests .. were dipped in the brim of the water … the waters … stood and rose up upon an heap … and the people passed over.) Walk on water. (Matt 14:29 Peter. .. walked on the water to go to Jesus.)
- You have victory over your enemies and your feet will be upon their necks. (Josh 10:25 Come near and put your feet upon the necks of these kings. And they came near and put their feet upon the necks of them.) (II Sam 22:33 & 39 I have pursued mine enemies and destroyed them: … yea, they are fallen under my feet.) (Ps 91:13 Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou
trample under feet.)
- I pray for your earthly needs to be met. (Deut 11 :24 Every place whereon the soles of your feet shall tread shall be. Josh 14:9 surely the land whereon thy feet have trodden shall be thine inheritance, and thy children’s for ever, because thou hast wholly followed the Lord my God.) As he kept the clothing from wearing out during forty years of wondering, he can work miracles for you even in times of need.
- May you be protected as the Lord God “keeps” your feet. (I Sam 2:9 He will keep the feet of his saints … II Sam 22:37 & Ps 18:36 Thou hast enlarged my steps under me: so that my feet didnot slip.)
- Learn to serve others as you would joy in serving the Lord himself (Job
29:15 I was eyes to the blind and feet was I to the lame. I Tim 5:10 … widow
… reported for good works .. .if she have washed the saints feet.)
- Deliver from evil and fall not into temptation as you refrain your feet from evil. (Ps 25: 15 Mine eyes are ever toward the Lord, for he shall pluck my feet out of the mire) (Ps 119:59 I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep thy word.)
- I pray that you will be steady and secure, single-minded in God’s plan for you as you walk in the light provided for you.
(Ps 40:2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay,
and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.) Do not flounder as
one walking in the dark. (Ps 119:105 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a
light unto my path. Ps 66:9 Which holdeth our soul in life, and suffereth not
our feet to be moved.) Know the peace that comes in fulfilling his will for
your life. (Luke 1 :79 … to guide our feet in the way of peace.)
- God give you health, energy, and a long life in which to walk before him. (Ps
56: 13 For thou hast delivered my soul from death; wilt not thou deliver my
feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living?)
- May the Lord give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.Ps.91:12
- Be blessed with knowing the joy of having a good church home and serving in
it faithfully. (Ps 122: 1 & 2 I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into
the house ofthe Lord. Our feet shall stand within thy gates … )
- As Mary was blessed to be the mother of Jesus so shall you be blessed to carry
his gospel as you live it day by day. (Is 52:7, Nah 1:15, Rom 10:15 How
beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings,
that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth
salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth)
- Don’t be depressed in the midst of trouble – God has joy and strength for you.
(Hab 3: 17-19 Although the fig tree shall not blossom … Yet I will rejoice in
the Lord. I will joy in the God of my The Lord God is my strength,
and he will make my feet like hinds’ feet, and he will make me to walk upon
mine high places.)
- I pray for physical healing for you, especially in tired, aching, hurting feet!
(Acts 3:7 … and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.)
Well, Friend, I have found thirteen prayers for you. Not a lucky (or unlucky) thirteen but
a blessed thirteen! All related to your feet. May you walk in joy, strength, peace,
sureness, confidence, trust, and faithfulness!
you know Oneta, I’ve never had a pedicure—never a visit to a nail salon.
The nail part was because an art teacher and it simply didn’t make sense to “do” my nails. I use to paint them when I was younger but gave that up probably 30 years ago when our son was born.
I suppose I have ‘working hands’, what can I say 🙂
The pedicure thing simply goes to having someone else tend to and pamper my feet.
My feet are working feet like my hands—I spent 31 years teaching on them, I work outside and I just stay on them.
After 60 years, they’ve seen better days. I do paint my own toenails—a french manicure a la me 🙂
I’ve just always felt it was subservient of me to have someone else “work” on my old feet.
My aunt use to swear by having a pedicure—but I just felt funny about paying someone to tend to my feet when I should do such.
Sort of like a cleaning lady…I’ve never had one. I always figured that we made the mess, therefore I was responsible.
So Jesus washing feet, the dusty dirty calloused feet of others, is a pretty big deal….
True, and I identify with Peter who said, “You’ll not wash my feet.” There is much to be said for the attitude required to either wash the feet of another or to humble oneself to letting another person wash his feet.
Indeed there is
yes, indeed it is a two-way attitude of humility. After a time of isolation here after a severe flood incident a team came out to ‘minister’ to the ones who lost power for many days. I allowed my own sense of ‘I’m ok’ to die and saw the joy of allowing ‘others’ to care for me. The example of Jesus’ needs to be seen as ‘multi faceted’. Thank you for sharing.
Great application to a Jesus principle.
A wise analogy Faye! Thank you for sharing and I do hope the effects of the flood have receded.
Great message and confirmation!!
I’m glad it is a benefit to you; may the Lord add the anointing to your use. Thank you for the confirmation.
Thank you Oneta! I will bookmark this post and reflect back upon it when this liturgical time of the year comes back around!! Hugs for taking the time to compose this for all of us to partake in!
Thank you. It seems some have seen the possibility of working these scriptures into some type of “foot washing” ministry.