THIS ONE INCH PIECE OF LIFE

“Will you take it and drop it in the lake?”  I asked Sammy.

“Yes,” he replied, “but he probably won’t last long.  He’s a tropical fish.”

“I know, but I’m tired of him.  I’ll let nature take it’s course.”

“It might be against the law to introduce a foreign species…” he said.

“Oh, maybe so, with all the silly environmental laws,” I admit.  “So what can I do with him?  I’ve thought about putting his bowl on the patio and see if a bird or cat might take care of the problem.  I just can’t handle knocking him in the head, burying him in the ground, or flushing him down the drain.”

So saying, I cleaned his bowl and put him back. I will keep him.

This one inch long little piece of life.

This entry was posted in abortion, environment and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to THIS ONE INCH PIECE OF LIFE

That’s why I have so many pieces of potted plant prunings!

2. Sweet, Oneta. Great story.

3. Frank Hubeny says:

I like the decision to keep him.

I think he has had a happy day in a clean bowl. And I start the dirty up process by giving him food. I also gave him a name – Finney. He now belongs for good, unless I find a loving home for him. 😀

4. atimetoshare.me says:

What a sweet story from a very sweet lady.❤️❤️

5. Years ago, I saw a woman cry bitter tears because she felt so bad for accidentally letting a tiny goldfish go down the drain, when she was cleaning and refilling the goldfish bowl.

A few years later, she discovered that she was pregnant and decided to have an abortion.

I never could understand that.

Linda Lee, I wanted this little story to be interpreted in light of the abortion issue. I’m not sure that came through. I guess I was too subtle. The story is true. We had that exchange this morning. I named the fish “Finny;” Now it will be even harder to dump him. Pregnant mothers who want their child often name early it seems – not that one can tell its sex early.

I hope this is only a partly true story. I hope the decision for the tropical fish to keep it is true. it took only one foreign fish in our river system to pollute the many rivers in the Australian eco system. The story of the little carp is one. Rabbits so cute is another.(on the land of course) What about the cute baby crocodile who was discarded into a creek while small. ? The mayhem the adult caused in an environment where crocs were never meant to be and the terror for animals and young swimmers is mind numbing.. I agree with Linda above if we have lost our ability to sanctify human life and have no thought for discarding the inconvenient in animal and plant life what a great species of made in the Image of God people have we become. Blessings!

We didn’t mess up the lake with the tiny guppy. Overall I don’t swallow that environmental trend. Our country is made up of many immigrants who brought with them many plants and animals. I’m thankful. Guess we would eat turkey, buffalo, and wild boars. Maybe we would plead for some manna. Ah, I could have pecan pie. That will do. 😀