A GIFT OF LIGHT

“Hop in, honey,” said Laura, before driving away.

“Thanks, all’s good.” Cassie answered confidently.

Feeling an empty pocket, she remembered her key and money pouch on the music stand.

Fighting panic, she went to a side door and breathed a sign of relief to find it unlocked. The darkness was overwhelming as she maneuvered the hall from the side door. The stage lit up suddenly. She followed it to her music rack.

Relief became panic as she realized she wasn’t alone. Heart pounding, she stumbled back outside. Thankful but inquisitive, she left remembering “don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.”

*************

Written for rochelle’s 100 word Picture Prompt challenge, Friday Fictioneers https://rochellewisoff.com/

This entry was posted in Friday Fictioneers, Rochelle's picture prompt and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to A GIFT OF LIGHT

1. granonine says:

Atmospheric, leaving me a little off kilter at the end. Not sure exactly what happened–maybe that’s what you intended ?

2. Sandra says:

There’s few things more disquieting than an empty theatre. I don’t know why that should be, but I got a sense of her uneasiness. I wasn’t sure about the gift horse either, but it doesn’t detract from the story.

You sent me to google to be sure of my proverb. It does mean what I thought but I guess it is not as commonly known as I thought. Thanks for the response. I do think big auditoriums are scary.

3. neilmacdon says:

4. A hidden benefactor whether kind or maleficent, she will never know. Nice one Oneta!

5. Dora says:

That old adage of curiosity killing the cat came to mind. I would have done the same thing, lol. Enjoyed this, Oneta.

6. goroyboy says:

Close call,, some stones are better left unturned

Thank you for visiting me and for leaving the comment. I like interactive bloggers. I read your Tribute to Neil Pearl, but I didn’t know enough about your subject to comment intelligently. I guess he was a DJ long after my DJ days. 😀

• goroyboy says:

My pleasure, Neil was musician, specifically a drummer and unique in the sense, that he was well read, a bookworm
        of sorts. Before Neil joined the band Rush, The lyrics of their songs were simplistic with not much depth. He was also known to be an introvert which is ironic with all of the people he positively affected with his inspirational lyrics.. thanks for commenting and the blog camaraderie. DJ? That sounds interesting..

7. I could feel her fear then her relief. I’m so glad she got away without something bad happening. Nicely done, Oneta! =)