AUTOGRAPHED CABINET

The cabinet above belonged to my Great-grandmother Moore; it is now in the possession of my sister. Our grandchildren are now able to read some of the highlights of day. The notations are written on the inside of the two top doors. (pictures two and three)

My mother has traced by pencil what she could read, so parts are again legible. Most of the names at the top were siblings who were children of John and Melvina. Joking a bit but I could make them poor victims who couldn’t buy paper, but I think that is not true. I’m guessing they bought the cabinet when it was new.

Then my mom and her siblings names are scattered. Some of the younger ones note their ages.

Not exactly high tech, but if I had to prove something that is inscribed here, it would probably stand up in court with more believability than a record in google!

At some period, I had to get in on the act so my married name is on the left near the bottom. I was a tag-along. Tag-along or not I wanted to get in on this family tree someplace. There are folks here who could teach me something.

I believe I will meet some of these ancestors of mine in the great beyond – in the sky, Lord, in the sky. ——

Johnny Cash: “Will the Circle Be Unbroken” Will the circle be unbroken, by and by, Lord, by and by; there’s a better home awaiting in the sky, Lord, in the sky.

This entry was posted in family, legacy, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to AUTOGRAPHED CABINET

1. Frank Hubeny says:

The closest to this that I remember doing is marking the heights of the children as they grew by some doorway and recording the date and who it was. My father and mother did this as well to me and my siblings when I was a child.

Yes, we did that too. Should have had them measure us on a piece of furniture like this. It could have moved with the family. Thanks for pulling up that bit of history.

2. atimetoshare.me says:

What a lovely record of family history. So cool that these old things continue on – sort of like us I guess.

But the “us” has shorter years on earth. I visualize that in Heaven we will have access to precious items from earth. Perhaps an Earth Museum where you can go read some of your prize pieces of writing and art. I think God still pronounces an “That’s good” on some of the creative beauty of the earth.

3. Dawn Marie says:

Such a priceless piece. I pray it stays within your family for generations yet to come! Hugs for sharing such a sentimental slice of your rich history!

Thank you, Dawn Marie. My sister has the cabinet because my mother had restored old building in which some of her siblings were born. It had been used many years to store grain. She bought it and restored it. We called it the Homestead House. It is still in the possession of my brother. Mother took this item out at some time. Probably because of lack of space when other family relics were moved to the house. Maybe I should get pictures of other things in there. We have family reunions up there sometimes. Always some one goes out to the Homestead House. Maybe I can. I’m sure it will remain with my brother’s family.

4. ghostmmnc says:

I love things like this that are passed down through the family. How wonderful that they wrote some f the family history on the doors.
    I have a large china hutch my uncle built. It was for my grandmother, who had it many years, then my sister had it for awhile. I’m so glad I have it now.