MARY’S SOLILOQUY (#3 of 4)

A piercing of the heart—indeed, tonight my heart is not only pierced; it is ripped apart! I was at the foot of the cross! I watched him die! Die! This son of God, the miracle worker! Skeptics mocked him by telling him to come down from the cross. Why did he not?

He proved his power over death by his love for another grieving widow whose son died. Why did he leave me grieving? He did think of me. Asked John to take his place as my son. Even near the end, he encouraged a thief hanging next to him. At last he said “It is finished.”

Finished! The Messiah, dead. The Savior, dead. The healer, dead. The miracle worker, dead. The king, dead. My son, dead.

However, death seemed welcome compared to the betraying, whipping, scorning, ridiculing, humiliating, bleeding, suffering! They contemptuously jabbed a mocking crown of thorns on the brow that I had stroked in love. The brow that wrinkled when he laughed. The brow that sweat at the end of a long hard day. The brow that oozed blood into his eyes as it made its way down his cheeks.

Why did the glorious shouts of hallelujah, change to threatening screams of crucify him? Why, God, why? Why did you leave him to suffer alone? Why would your promise turn to this? What an ignominious end to your glorious promise!

**************

image: pexels, Luis Dalvan

This entry was posted in Easter, Mary mother of Jesus, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to MARY’S SOLILOQUY (#3 of 4)

1. atimetoshare.me says:

As a mother, I can’t imagine anything worse than watching a child die. This death was ordained even before Jesus’ conception. What a gift we’ve been given. God Himself took on the task of our salvation.

A rending of the heart, for sure. I wonder if the Catholic teachings show any more about whether Mary knew her son had to die for the salvation of mankind.

• atimetoshare.me says:

I don’t know all that they teach but I believe she knew from the day the angel appeared to her until his resurrection and beyond. He was flesh of her flesh.

Maybe so. The angel’s message says “The Lord God will give him the throne on his father David.” That sounds “earth Kingly” to me. Her song doesn’t give me a clue regarding her foreseeing any heart break. Elizabeth, Simeon, and Anna all prophesy toward “salvation of all people.” (My interpretation) That seems more wide-spread that just if He were to be King of Israel. I don’t know how much she would have been taught from the prophesies in the OT. I would guess however that she expected some persecution for him since he was coming to her as an unwed mother (as far as most folks thought). But the Risen Christ sure proved a lot!

the redemption Plan indeed is beyond comprehension. Thank God for Mary;s obedience to the plan. I like the song ,’Mary did you know? The line ……..the little one you hold. Mary did you know He has come to save you too!? Thank you for this writing series.
    On this RESURRECTION morning all I can really say is Hallaleuia! Because He LIVES! I can face tomorrow! Happy Easter!

I love that song too. And you are seeing Easter already. I have to wait a few hours, but it will arrive. And He is alive for you and for me, Easter or not.

3. JoAnna says:

Thank you for writing this. I can easily imagine the confusion and deep pain Mary must have felt as a mother.

4. joyroses13 says:

Such emotion that Mary must have had! Cannot imagine being in her shoes! Powerful post. Happy Easter Oneta!