1. I am told that I have spent about 42 days of my life on hold with automated customer service. What would I have done without my thumbs to twiddle?
2. I hitchhiked to work one time. Thumb is handy for that.
3. Thumbs simplify picking up dropped puzzle pieces, and for holding a spoon.
4. Does a chicken use its three fingers and thumb in the same way we use our four fingers and thumb. Or does it have a big toe instead of a thumb.
5. I like it when a driver gives me a thumbs up sign.
6. One time the Israelites cut off the thumbs and big toes of their enemy. Without their toes they could not run very fast and they could not hitchhike either.
7. The thumb touching the index finger is a friendly gesture.
8. If a doctor were to perform surgery on my thumb, the nurse would wrap it in bandages, then put my hand in a plastic bag for my shower. Plastic bags from the hospital are very expensive, but I can use a Walmart bag when I get home. Just make the rubber band tight enough to hurt so I know no water can get in.
9. Some people are brilliant in their ability to survive without thumbs. Though I think it was very nice for God to give us thumbs, it was even better that he gave brains to figure out how to live a satisfying life even if the thumbs get cut off.
10. Did you know babies suck their thumbs even before they are born.
11. Before I say bye, I want to take time to thank God for the two well-worn thumbs in the picture above. I believe that is something for which I have never said thanks before.
12. Bye – as I wave to you with my hand which my thumbs go along with. I don’t even think about waving just my thumbs. I wonder what that would mean. Waving thumbs without the hand like just like they do when I twiddle…….
Without thumbs, there would be no Thumbelina!
Thinking about Thumbelina fitting into her mother’s pocket reminds me of the James Dean’s who needed thumbs to put into their jeans pocket.
you crack me up…again 🙂
That’s my goal. How can I write something that cracks Julie up and where I get to say something about God’s goodness? That’s the question.
Oh such a quandary 🤣😂
You forget one very important point. It is nice to stick your thumb under your nose and signify exactly what you think of people.
You are right. This one makes the list also. Thumbing one’s nose.
Clever, and also interesting and informative. J.
Thanks, J. Made a fun subject especially with the added comments.
What is the reason I wonder when describing a clumsy person. They’re all thumbs. .That was surely me trying to stitch a sampler when very young.
I agree that is strange. Someone on my Facebook pointed that out to me also. So I went online and found the following: The notion of this idiom derives from a proverb in John Heywood ‘s collection of 1546: “When he should get aught, each finger is a thumb.”
You have a wild imagination, don’t you?! I never thought so much about thumbs before. LOL
Proverbs 8:12 speaks of “witty inventions” given by Wisdom. I know that means great big things in technology and medicine and many important things. I also claim it for my head to come out through my fingers and thumbs in writing for the blog. LOL