LITTLE HOUSE, BIG LIFE

There was a young couple who lived in this house

Life, in general, was good; mostly quiet as a mouse.

The place was spotless – no pests, not even a louse.

She cared for the household, ironing every shirt and blouse.

Each cared for the other making each a good spouse.

Spoke kindly to others, without grumble or grouse.

Drank water, not whiskey – neither was a souse.

At the end they died happy, and entered Heaven’s House.

*************************

Submitted to Rochelle https://rochellewisoff.com/ for Friday Fictioneers, a one hundred word story based on picture prompt. (77 words) PHOTO PROMPT © Lisa Fox

Go to Rochelle’s to see other stories inspired by this picture. Join the fun, writing and reading.

This entry was posted in Friday Fictioneers, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to LITTLE HOUSE, BIG LIFE

1. James McEwan says:

Well done in keeping the continuous rhyme going. A story of clean and happy living.
    They kept their love burning that no water could douse.

2. plaridel says:

i love happy ending. 🙂

3. hatrack4 says:

I am reminded of my Uncle Boyce Henderson, father’s uncle actually. He was a missionary to the Inuit tribes of Alaska, preaching and teaching school. When he and his wife came home, he built a log cabin northeast of Pontotoc, MS and they lived without any utilities, no indoor plumbing, and walking to the general store about a mile and a half from his home almost daily. Their home did not even have a driveway. You parked on a wide spot of the shoulder of the road and walked through the trees to get there. He and his wife lived into their late 80s, as you wrote, happy, and they are in God’s House now.

4. Margaret says:

The simple life and a good marriage was all they needed. Nice story. Fits the prompt very well.

5. oneta hayes says:

Thank you, Margaret? Do you write FF? If so, how can I find you?

6. Laurie Bell says:

Oh lovely rhyming tale of time passing. Well done.

Thank you. I’ll tell you a secret. I had trouble with the line about ironing. “ironing shirts and blouses” sounded so good but didn’t rhyme. Then it hit me that I could use “ever shirt and blouse” so I signed in great relief. 😀

7. msjadeli says:

Oneta, it does look like that kind of a dwelling. Maybe that’s exactly what happened there 🙂

8. A beautiful little house…with a beautiful story in verse to go with it.