THIS IS MY STORY

THIS IS MY STORY, THIS IS MY SONG, PRAISING MY SAVIOR, ALL THE DAY LONG!

8:00 I roused myself enough to know the temperature was not too bad. I had a new supply of oxygen in the tank. So I dressed for church and took this old-broken down jalopy kind of body in her nineteen year old VW to church. The hugs shared, hands shaken, and heads-a’bobbin was well worth the huffin and puffin I was doing. I was doing it; I was fellowshipping with friends. Good stuff.

Then the music started. First song – no way could I get in the key range, high or low, even without considering that I had no air. 🙂 Second song – I didn’t know it very well. I kept my mouth shut and read along. Third song – I mimed the words with no sound coming out. Fourth song – I broke. “Oh, Lord, why have I come to this place? I can’t sing at all. you know how I love to sing.” Okay, so now I know! Don’t be surprised when Jesus talks back; but be prepared to hear truth. “I don’t care how much you “love” to sing. I care that your song comes from your heart, not your mouth!” I’m so thankful!

Right then, I knew I was really living “My Story.”

I visited a lady in the rest home last week. I sang a few songs to her. I was surprised that I could sing as well as I did that day. If I really want to sing aloud in a key range I can get in, that will be my reward.

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine
O what a foretaste of glory divine
Heir of salvation, purchase of God
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood

Perfect submission, all is at rest
I in my Savior am happy and blessed
Watching and waiting, looking above
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love

This entry was posted in singing, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to THIS IS MY STORY

1. I love to sing, too, Oneta. Whatever key they’re singing, I harmonize in a range that’s comfortable to me.
    I wrote about a similar experience I had one Easter many years ago …

Easter Tears

2. pastorpete51 says:

Yes Oneta God hears the beautiful song of your heart.

3. It doesn’t surprise me that you’re a ‘singer’. It also doesn’t surprise me that the Lord speaks to you. You’re a blessing, Oneta. ❤

4. Debbie L says:

Oh, how I love Blessed Assurance written by precious Fannie Crosby!!! We hardly ever sing it in our church – but we did this morning! I have all the oxygen i need and I can’t carry a tune. But my heart sings out loud as I worship my Lord and Savior!!! I’m delighted to hear nothing keeps you from joining in others. I pray I am able to gather with like-minded believers every Sunday until death whisks me home!

Wasn’t she a most amazing lady! Used by the hand/voice of God. She left us a legacy with her hymn writing. Keep the songs coming as long as possible, in the heart and out the mouth. 😀

5. What a beautiful song. I have not heard it in years but always love it. Glad you could get to church!

Shalom!

It is such a blessing to be able to attend a group of people who still believe the local church gathering is important. Sad we do not have many young people, so it seems to be losing its importance among the younger set, except in certain “trendy” places. That judgment is made on stats, not on my preferences.

6. Cassia says:

Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing. My jaw disc cracked a long time ago, and while I was intense treatment for it, I couldn’t sing (or talk or smile or laugh much for that matter) for many, many years due to intense pain…not being able to sing was so hard for me at times too, but I also learned that no injury could stop me from singing from my heart ❤

7. Dawn Marie says:

Keeping a song in your heart Oneta is a beautiful gift you give to Him and all those who witness this humble offering. 🥰

8. ghostmmnc says:

Wonderful song. We seem never to forget those songs we learned when we were young. 🙂

9. Timelesslady says:

What a wonderful testimony and response to you from the Lord. God bless.

10. Brought me to tears. You have a marvelous story that sings from your heart. God bless you.

Brokenness bring me to intimacy. Pride, ability, talent – too often lead to entertainment. But then I think God loves to see his kids be entertained in that way also!