POUND OR DOLLAR – BOTH PLEASE

Want to start an argument?

Say the dollar is better

Than the Queen’s pound.

Truthfully my British-born husband and I just take as many of both as we can get!  We were quite pleasantly surprised back in the ’90’s when retirement years came along.  We found that Sammy was eligible for some retirement from the UK’s treasury because of service time he had spent in the British Merchant Marines.  Way back yonder – before 1951 when he came to the USA.  It’s not much but it was a welcome surprise.  He was active in that endeavor during World War II, when many ships were carrying soldiers to various locations.  He saw the world in those days – before settling down with me in the good ole USA, Oklahoma State.

Right now he is watching American football.   OU/UCLA  21/7 OU favor.  Can it hold?  We’ll know in about an hour.  😀

************

Sept. 7th monthly challenge by M  – “imperial units”

READERS, PLEASE DROP OVER AND READ M’s TRIBUTE TO THE AMERICAN SOLDIER IN HER POEM “IMPERIAL UNITS”   HERE

THANKS, M AND YOUR DEAR HUSBAND

images thanks to unsplash

This entry was posted in M's September Prompt, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to POUND OR DOLLAR – BOTH PLEASE

There’s nothing like “found” money, whether it’s a five dollar bill in the washing machine, or a few pounds from overseas. Good for you!

It was exciting. I even get a bit because of being spouse. Some of this kind of stuff, however, makes me wonder why the “nations” are not already broke. I look back to when we started Soc. Sec. payments – I think about $4 a month. I was irritated because I wasn’t given a choice. At this point I am glad. Sammy’s sister is the one who discovered that he was eligible for whatever program they have.

2. calmkate says:

Lovely so you’ve been back to meet his family?

My English husband adapted very well to the change from pounds to dollars (Aust.) but his father who immigrated was also pleasantly surprised when he received an English pension as well as an Australian subsidy. He stated until the day he died the English pound was the best currency in the world.! Cheers!

4. ~M says:

Thank you Oneta. ❤️

5. Dawn Marie says:

No wonder I feel akin to you (and sweet Faye!) Our future daughter in law is from the UK!! Hugs & Cheerio to you today!

6. oneta hayes says:

How neat! A lot of the same interests and values.

7. Debbie L says:

Wow, wasn’t that great. We love found money, no matter if it’s a penny on the pavement or an unexpected insurance refund!